I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Local wheel builders?

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Local wheel builders?

Post by Grady »

Anyone know of any reputable wheel builders around here? I'm picking up a spare set of stock hubs for my bike and would like to get a set of 17's built up. I'd rather have a local / semi-local shop build them, rather than ship them out.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Local wheel builders?

Post by Bucho »

I know Fredericktown Yamaha will do wheel lacing. I can't remember what they charged, but East Coast Wheels was a lot cheaper, but they sort of take forever.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Wheels aren't that hard to build. It just takes patience, and either a real truing stand (not necessary) or a tire balancing stand, and a dial gauge. I've done a couple sets. It takes a few hours, but it's not bad.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Whatever you do, do NOT send your wheels to East Coast Wheels. They are good, well meaning people, but they have too many stories about extemely long delays in getting people their stuff. I wouldn't even bother ordering anything from them, much less send them my stuff for them to build something for me.

Try RAM Cycles in old town Gaithersburg. They are a small shop that gets lot's of supermoto product all they time. Alex Swetlow, the owner, has built several custom supermotos over the years. I would give a shout out for Fredericktown Yamaha too. Ask for Jason Conlon. He is AMA Supermoto Nat'l #8 and can get you just about anything you need for supermoto.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

+1 on Alex. I know him from racing, he's a good guy.
drewbird911

Post by drewbird911 »

Hello All, not to Hijack this thread but... I assume that these listed above Shops would be good places to buy new tires and have them mounted? Any other recommendations? I spoke to the Dirt Shop on Route 1 and they seemed knowledgeable, but G-burg seems closer to me (Bethesda). Any places I should avoid? I am looking at the Avon Distenza (sp?) as I am mostly commuting in and out of DC on my XT225.

TIA
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

RAM is generally a good shop, I've had good service there. This past winter they set up the suspension on my DR for me and did a good job.
They usually have some neat customs on the floor. This week I stopped in there, they have a done up Ducati Monster. I'm personally not that impressed w/ bling, but it had an awesome custom license plate bracket. With the flip of a switch the plate will fold up tight against the underside of the rear fender.
With all the new speed cameras infesting MoCo, it doesn't seem like that bad of an idea.
(or you can just have mud all over your plate, worked for me last time I got popped)
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Teethgrinder

Post by Teethgrinder »

FWIW, I found those Avons at Coleman Powersports in Falls Church (not far from you). A big dealer shop, but they do have a lot of stuff generally.
drewbird911

Post by drewbird911 »

I thought about Coleman in Falls Church, but I've heard mixed reviews. That would probably be the closest to me. Anyone else have any recommendations? Thanks Again,
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

drewbird911 wrote:I thought about Coleman in Falls Church, but I've heard mixed reviews. That would probably be the closest to me. Anyone else have any recommendations? Thanks Again,
RAM can order the tires for you, or you can mail order the tires and take them to RAM to have them mounted. Generally, I would not pay dealer prices for tires.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC