I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

WR250R reflectors needed

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
DTW
DAMN n00b

WR250R reflectors needed

Post by DTW »

Howdy,

I'm new here, and my "new" (2008 WR250R) just failed the Maryland Safety Inspection this morning.

Anybody have a set of front fork reflectors/mounts for a WR250R laying around they want to lend/sell me?

Seeing lots of posts on the internet about people removing them, but not many of them up for sale.

I'm in Gaithersburg, and work in D.C., or could pay postage.

Thanks,
Derek
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: WR250R reflectors needed

Post by Rut Row »

buy any stick-on reflectors such as these https://www.amazon.com/Timmart-Orange-R ... B078YS47TB

the statute says "Every reflector shall be mounted on the vehicle at a height of not more than 60 inches nor less than 15 inches and shall be of such size and characteristics and so mounted as to be visible at night from all distances within 600 feet to 100 feet from the vehicle when directly in front of lawful upper beams of headlamps, except that visibility from a greater distance is hereinafter required of reflectors on certain types of vehicles. When two reflectors are required they shall be as widely spaced laterally as practicable. "

after inspection rip them off
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Another vote for cheap stick-ons
Walmart has the same thing and reflective tape. So does TSC.

Hell, I got two for the front of my Beta laying around somewhere that I never used. Inspection? What inspection? :lol2:
Bruce
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

heck, once I had to add a chain guard. I went to an old bicycle, took off the guard, zip tied it onto the swingarm of the bike and went back. The inspector didn't like it but passed it.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

At least in MD there is no yearly inspection.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Bucho wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:58 pm At least in MD there is no yearly inspection.
:thumbup:
Bruce
DTW
DAMN n00b

Post by DTW »

Looks like I'll order some stick on ones.

Today I disassembled and cleaned 11 years of dirt out of the horn switch. That works more than "intermittently" now.

And I managed to not lose any spring detents in the parking lot.

Need a DOT front tire and to sort out my "slow throttle return" and I should be good for a re-inspection and then back in line at the MVA.

So far, much less painful than getting my old Florida pickup truck past Maryland 'safety' inspection. For that I went to two different shops and got two mutually exclusive lists of problems! My favorite item was that I had to replace the steering wheel, because the 20 year old foam rubber around the solid steel hoop was 'crumbly', and thus a 'safety' hazard. I told them I could come back with a cover on it and it wouldn't be crumbly, but was told steering wheel covers are also illegal in Maryland!

Thanks everyone,
Derek
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Where are you going for your bike inspection that is busting your balls like this? Others should know so they know to STAY AWAY! In my experience, never take a motorcycle to a motorcycle dealer for an inspection. They are either super-sensitive to things like DOT tires and reflectors, else they are just trying to pry some extra cash out of you. I have had good success with taking bikes to a normal automotive garage that is also licensed to inspect motorcycles. Motorcycles are not their bread and butter so usually they will just want to get you out of their hair provided most of your stuff is kosher.

Good luck with getting the bike on the road...

SJ
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Skinny-J wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:35 pm Where are you going for your bike inspection that is busting your balls like this? Others should know so they know to STAY AWAY! In my experience, never take a motorcycle to a motorcycle dealer for an inspection. They are either super-sensitive to things like DOT tires and reflectors, else they are just trying to pry some extra cash out of you. I have had good success with taking bikes to a normal automotive garage that is also licensed to inspect motorcycles. Motorcycles are not their bread and butter so usually they will just want to get you out of their hair provided most of your stuff is kosher.

Good luck with getting the bike on the road...

SJ
I've heard that before about using an automotive place, sounds like good advice.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

What is this inspection thing you speak of? :jack:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.