I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Joe's Beta thread

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: This is what you do with new bikes, right?

Post by Laoch »

gots_a_sol wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:38 pm
juddspaintballs wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:33 pm
BBQ a little close to the siding?
I was wondering how long until somebody caught that :dry: Ugh, roommates...
Trained FF eyes :deal:
We were looking at the pretty bike :lol2:
Bruce
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

So put about 30 miles this weekend between the reunion then Taskers the next day. I'm definitely liking the extra oomph from the 250 over my Husky. It does weigh a little bit more but nothing too crazy (I'll scale it eventually).

Ergos are good, although I swapped bars right off the bat to my preferred bend. Seat is terrible and has no grip. DAMN near slid off the back on the first slight incline :shrug:

Upon arrival at Mountain Ridge. Last time it'll ever look this fresh and clean :lol2:

So I wanted to give the Sachs forks a fair shake. They were OK at MR but were absolutely brutal at Taskers. I ran the clickers in and out from closed to open but just couldn't find a happy place with them. I eventually gave up on the trail and bailed out on to the forest road that parallels the trails as my hands were destroyed. I've NEVER had to do that before. :dry:

Everybody is very hush hush on shims stacks for these forks unfortunately. Also they use an uncommon shim size with a 7mm ID. I have a race this weekend so I don't have time to send them out which means the Husky done lost her legs today :lol2:

Bye bye

KYB's, just like god intended all bikes to have :killingme: The Husky version of these forks bolts straight in to the triple clamps (yamaha versions need either a custom upper triple clamp or turned down 2mm to fit the oem) and I used the Beta wheel, axle, and spacers. I just had to adjust the spacers a bit on the lathe. Also used a brembo caliper since it bolted right on.

I need to tweak the valving in the shock a bit also but the Husky uses nearly the same Sachs shock so I have a decent idea of what to do there already.
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

I wonder if you would have liked the OC forks on the standard RR better (although I expect the KYBs, which of course have a somewhat legendary rep, would still have found their way onto the bike eventually).

Let me know if you'd like to try a seat concepts low seat...
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Nice work Joe! Poor Husky. It was a different ride from the 300 for sure but I didn't ride it enough to get a feel for the suspension. Really nice bike though! It's got Skinny-J's name written all over it!
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

First race on the Beta yesterday. Forks worked so much better. I messed with the valving in the shock and it is improved as well.

Race didn't start off great. Was a live engine start which I hate so much. Everybody suddenly becomes a professional motocrosser and it is a shit show :lol2: I ended up getting back to 10th from dead last (30th).

After getting going again I could hear this constant clicking sound that got louder the faster I went. It sounded like when you would put a playing card in the spokes of your bike as a kid. This pic shows the issue :shrug: It also polished that entire side of the wheel too :dry:

-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Nice pic.

Kinda sucky you got clipped at the start, but that's racing :shrug: .
Bruce
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Knocked some more of the new off.

-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

Cutting some new trail?
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

Hey Joe, where is that?
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Hatfield, Rockhouse 188.

This is Buffalo Mountain at the top of 199. (Original https://photos.smugmug.com/Mobile-uploa ... 111005.jpg )

So the rear brakes were an issue all weekend. Turns out I have a slow seep where the fitting is crimped on to the line :screwy: Ok fine, I'll just top it off every so often. Then the rear pads wore down, no big deal, I have a tote full of spare par... DAMN I forgot it at home. Run in to town and get pads from the local shop. $30 for some unknown name brand things. Fine whatever, I need pads and this is what is available. Pop them in before the ride and head out. They last 13 miles. THIRTEEN FUCKING MILES and I'm down to the backing plates already. So now that rotor is trashed and the day was cut short.
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0