I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Brake pistons

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Brake pistons

Post by Laoch »

How to remove brake pistons? Pull caliper, pull pads, pump or use air? Sound right? What about the seal or O rings? Are they in the piston wall? They stay in?

I'm trying get these DAMN mountain bike brakes on the Freeride to work a little better.
Bruce
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Re: Brake pistons

Post by Wingfixer »

Put a rag over the pistons then use shop air to (carefully) push the pistons out. If there are two pistons the one closest to the fluid inlet port will come out first, just aim the shop air at the little hole that connects the two piston reservoirs. Your bike is new enough I can't believe there would be corrosion but you can clean the pistons and bores with a little scotch-brite. The o-rings will either be on the piston or in the caliper, who knows how KTM does it but I'm sure it'll be the weirdest, most expensive way possible....Pull the o-rings, and backings (if installed(they would be white plastic looking things in the groove with the o-rings, they are not elastic)). Replace o-rings with new, fill the piston bores with brake fluid, reassemble, bleed and enjoy!
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Wingfixer wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:06 am Put a rag over the pistons then use shop air to (carefully) push the pistons out. If there are two pistons the one closest to the fluid inlet port will come out first, just aim the shop air at the little hole that connects the two piston reservoirs. Your bike is new enough I can't believe there would be corrosion but you can clean the pistons and bores with a little scotch-brite. The o-rings will either be on the piston or in the caliper, who knows how KTM does it but I'm sure it'll be the weirdest, most expensive way possible....Pull the o-rings, and backings (if installed(they would be white plastic looking things in the groove with the o-rings, they are not elastic)). Replace o-rings with new, fill the piston bores with brake fluid, reassemble, bleed and enjoy!
:thumbup:
Bruce
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

From my limited research, the FreeRide has very weak brakes. They are more like for a slow speed trials bike.
Not really up to fast enduro standards.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Bucho wrote:From my limited research, the FreeRide has very weak brakes. They are more like for a slow speed trials bike.
Yeah. I have found that out. They are made by a company that makes mountain bike brakes...same name.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bruce
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Laoch wrote:
Bucho wrote:From my limited research, the FreeRide has very weak brakes. They are more like for a slow speed trials bike.
Yeah. I have found that out. They are made by a company that makes mountain bike brakes...same name.

Fuckin shit. Plastic pistons. Two popped out. Two are stuck. Probably why i can't stop. Now what...ideas? Ordered ss replacement pistons. Image

Bruce
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Got those little fuckers out.
Bruce
Nobody
DAMN Poohba

Post by Nobody »

Laoch wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:29 am Fuckin shit. Plastic pistons. Two popped out. Two are stuck. Probably why i can't stop. Now what...ideas? Ordered ss replacement pistons.
Interesting, how many use plastic pistons nowadays? Seems to be not too good in a place which theoretically can become quite hot..
Every day is a good day when you ride
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

If you have SS pistons coming, grab those suckers with a pair of pliers and pull them out. I have some tricks for you if that doesn't work.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Clearly you need to use fire to remove them. Can't be stuck if they are liquid :lol2:
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0