I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Fixing XR650L

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Fixing XR650L

Post by J&J »

Update; Ground some weld out of the pipe, you can see the right side vs the left
Actually cleaned it up a little more after doing the other side. Then sent it out for ceramic coating. Might help performance a little, looks good & easy to clean.

Decided on a new oem Honda camshaft. There are mixed & poor reviews on the Hotcams one. The Web cam is the sh*t for these bikes but that sucker is about $550 with the required hardfaced rockers. Naw, nope, not now.

Previous valve job was crappy, the valves margins were too thin (edge thickness). I ordered new Kibblewhite valves. Guides were ok. Will be doing a little port work, new valves, seals & chain.

The cylinder is at the machinist getting bored.

I'm debating the famous 2nd & 5th gear swap. This closes the large gap between 1st & 2nd for the woods & puts 5th back up to where it was before going down to the 14 tooth counter sprocket. Have to split the cases & it's about $175 in parts. Guys that have done this say it was the best mod ever... IDK... It's still going to be a BRP :lol2:
Last edited by J&J on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zjcoombs
DAMN n00b

Post by zjcoombs »

J&J wrote:Update; Ground some weld out of the pipe, you can see the right side vs the left
Actually cleaned it up a little more after doing the other side. Then sent it out for ceramic coating. Might help performance a little, looks good & easy to clean.

Decided on a new oem Honda camshaft. There are mixed & poor reviews on the Hotcams one. The Web cam is the sh*t for these bikes but that sucker is about $550 with the required hardfaced rockers. Naw, nope, not now.

Previous valve job was crappy, the valves margins were too thin (edge thickness). I ordered new Kibblewhite valves. Guides were ok. Will be doing a little port work, new valves, seals & chain.

The cylinder is at the machinist getting bored.

I'm debating the famous 2nd & 5th gear swap. This closes the large gap between 1st & 2nd for the woods & puts 5th back up to where it was before going down to the 14 tooth counter sprocket. Have to split the cases & it's about $175 in parts. Guys that have done this say it was the best mod ever... IDK... It's still going to be a BRP :lol2:

Nice update! Translate “BRP” for this noob Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

Big Red Pig :lol2:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Wow, nice work Jay. Making me feel really lazy working on my DR.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

we won't be able to keep up with you! :lol2:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Bucho wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:30 pm Wow, nice work Jay. Making me feel really lazy working on my DR.
You work on your bikes?

:lol2:

:peep:
Bruce
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Laoch wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:51 am
Bucho wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:30 pm Wow, nice work Jay. Making me feel really lazy working on my DR.
You work on your bikes?
oh that is cold, COLD I say! :killingme:

Hey, he's gotten a lot better. :deal:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

Christmas is just beginning....

Image Hmm all these parts & no oem :shrug:

Cylinder bored and more valves

J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

More stuff coming next week & hope to work on the head some Sunday