I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Did I tell ya Jr roasted the BRP

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Did I tell ya Jr roasted the BRP

Post by Laoch »

Yeah, been at Jared's for a while getting a new top end. Little dumbass (my son) ran the piss out of it for a good month or so and never checked the oil. I'm talking riding daily work/school, probably WFO until it wouldn't go anymore. That DAMN thing was dry, no oil on stick, luckily the crank didn't cook, just everything else.
Bruce
Nobody
DAMN Poohba

Re: Did I tell ya Jr roasted the BRP

Post by Nobody »

Did the same to my NX650 back in the days. Until realized it eats oil if pushed too hard on a street :D. Cost me about a month getting parts/fixing, but was not too expensive - piston (new) and cylinder (bored) only. But I cracked the engine to get all the aluminum out from the broken piston. That pretty well gets your attention to the oil level after it runs again :lol2:

Btw spent about 16hrs in the garage at the final assembly stage. Did put in one gear wrong and only discovered it when engine was in the frame assembled and could not push it in "neutral" :killingme: . That got me working all night until the winning start of the engine :cheers:
Every day is a good day when you ride
OneFaller
DAMN Expert

Post by OneFaller »

Nobody wrote:Did the same to my NX650 back in the days. Until realized it eats oil if pushed too hard on a street :D. Cost me about a month getting parts/fixing, but was not too expensive - piston (new) and cylinder (bored) only. But I cracked the engine to get all the aluminum out from the broken piston. That pretty well gets your attention to the oil level after it runs again Image2:

Btw spent about 16hrs in the garage at the final assembly stage. Did put in one gear wrong and only discovered it when engine was in the frame assembled and could not push it in "neutral" :killingme: . That got me working all night until the winning start of the engine :cheers:
The victory of it running is the reward for the blood spilled

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Disaster Racing
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Laoch wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:20 pm Yeah, been at Jared's for a while getting a new top end. Little dumbass (my son) ran the piss out of it for a good month or so and never checked the oil. I'm talking riding daily work/school, probably WFO until it wouldn't go anymore. That DAMN thing was dry, no oil on stick, luckily the crank didn't cook, just everything else.
Point out any dude worth riding with that hasn't done that! Some lessons are expensive. :deal:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Wingfixer wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:28 pm
Laoch wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:20 pm Yeah, been at Jared's for a while getting a new top end. Little dumbass (my son) ran the piss out of it for a good month or so and never checked the oil. I'm talking riding daily work/school, probably WFO until it wouldn't go anymore. That DAMN thing was dry, no oil on stick, luckily the crank didn't cook, just everything else.
Point out any dude worth riding with that hasn't done that! Some lessons are expensive. :deal:
We had a briggs&stratton powered mini bike when I was a kid. We never put oil in it or even knew what oil was. We ran it dry. Eventually the case just broke. No oil came out, just a little bit of smoke. :cheers: Next up was an xr75. I think that thing could have survived being run without oil for awhile. In any event I don't remember ever checking the oil on it either. For no reason besides curiosity I completely dismantled the top end one day. It actually ran after I put it back together. I used to take that thing to the gnarliest stuff near home. I would get it stuck in various places (e.g., the bottom of the creek) and have to get my dad pull it out. He barely tolerated us having motorcycles but at least he was will to help in those situations.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Wingfixer wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:28 pm Point out any dude worth riding with that hasn't done that! Some lessons are expensive. :deal:
I was going to raise my hand but then remembered I seized a freshly rebuilt CR500 motor. But that was an air leak not oil starvation so I guess that still counts.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Rut Row wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:54 pm
Wingfixer wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:28 pm Point out any dude worth riding with that hasn't done that! Some lessons are expensive. :deal:
I was going to raise my hand but then remembered I seized a freshly rebuilt CR500 motor. But that was an air leak not oil starvation so I guess that still counts.
I was referring more to us ringing the poop outta things when we were kids. But yeah, you did kill a brand new engine! :lol2:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Tru dat.

Some of the problems came from the PO. Valves out of wack and rust in bore from sitting.
Bruce
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

So are you doing a valve job, stock compression & next size bore? Disassemble yourself & send out or what?
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

J&J wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:58 pm So are you doing a valve job, stock compression & next size bore? Disassemble yourself & send out or what?
Wiseco piston and rings, oem cam, valves, rockers, little rod things that go up and down, valve seats honed? Bore honed at stock size...did I miss anything?
South Mtn Cycle is doing it.
Bruce