I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Ac to D.C. Ktm voltage conversion

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Madizm
DAMN Wanabe

Ac to D.C. Ktm voltage conversion

Post by Madizm »

So I ordered an led tail light to replace my broken setup. After checking output voltage I realize that it is AC voltage. Led light wants D.C. Has anyone done this easily? I don't want to convert whole bike yet. Just tail. I can use bridge rectifier but any suggestion?

2011 Ktm 450 xcw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2011 KTM 450 six days- parting out
2005 Honda CRF250f
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: Ac to D.C. Ktm voltage conversion

Post by Laoch »

I would think Sicass, Baja Designs or Trail tech would have everything you need?
It's not like the wheel being reinvented.

Quick look- none of them list any type of rectifier. I put LED tails on a couple of bikes and just wired it up. No problems.
Only turn signals I think need help?
Bruce
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I tried a bridge rectifier on my 250 EXC 2T a while ago. It wasn't the cleanest signal, but it did work. It should be fine for the LED tail as long as it's got a reasonable range of something like 3 to 24V or so since mine often spiked around 16V when I was on the throttle.

I also think Baja Designs makes a cheap kit you can add on to your bike to convert it to DC easily and far cheaper than a Trail Tech setup. I was lazy and just dropped a Trail Tech stator into my 450 EXC.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Madizm
DAMN Wanabe

Post by Madizm »

juddspaintballs wrote:I tried a bridge rectifier on my 250 EXC 2T a while ago. It wasn't the cleanest signal, but it did work. It should be fine for the LED tail as long as it's got a reasonable range of something like 3 to 24V or so since mine often spiked around 16V when I was on the throttle.

I also think Baja Designs makes a cheap kit you can add on to your bike to convert it to DC easily and far cheaper than a Trail Tech setup. I was lazy and just dropped a Trail Tech stator into my 450 EXC.

Thanks guys.

I heard the rectifier would need a switch to turn off so it's not draining battery when the bike is not in use?

I have 10.4 ac and want to run a 12vdc. Thinking rectifier would work. I think I actually have one at work. Not taking this on road so I'm just looking out for people behind me Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 Honda CRF250f
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

At one point on that 250 EXC, I even ran a fire alarm battery (sealed and tiny) with direct wiring for the tail light and computer fan I used on the radiator. I calculated the draw on it, and if I left the fan and brake light on continuously, it would run for something like 33 hours straight. It was really simple and required no special wiring into the bike's harness.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
frogman1981
DAMN Expert

Post by frogman1981 »

You don't need to rectify for a light emitting DIODE. Rectifiers are just diodes themselves.
Madizm
DAMN Wanabe

Post by Madizm »

Just to update. After reviewing the schematics of the xcw model, it turns out I only have a tail light. No brake indicator. Basically the exc models come with front and rear integrated brake switches which light the tail light brighter when applied. I have no such thing. So an inline rectifier to my light should suffice. It just stays on.

While the LED is a diode my understanding is the led is not designed for this type of application. (we have an electrical engineer at my office)
2005 Honda CRF250f
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

I'm still scratching my head over a dirt bike using house electricity. :screwy:

:killingme:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

LEDs typically only work on DC power but I believe Joe Volk put an led tail on his new bike and it worked ok on AC. :shrug:
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
frogman1981
DAMN Expert

Post by frogman1981 »

Diodes work on ac and dc. Diodes are used in a rectifier to create D.C. From ac. Your led works on ac and dc. You could build a rectifier using leds.