CRF250X airbox and jet

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Sturmz15
DAMN n00b
Reactions:
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:15 am

CRF250X airbox and jet

Post by Sturmz15 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:19 am

I just picked up a 2016 CRF250X and I would like to open up the airbox and adjust the jetting. The problem I am facing is that I am not a mechanic and doing this may require removing the carb. I certainly want to learn how to work on my bike for instances like this but I also do want to use a 7K bike as a guinea pig. Looking for a mechanic or someone who has done this before help me out. I will be happy to pay for any service but would like to learn at the same time. Im in Balto County so any referrals are greatly appreciated.

User avatar
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer
Reactions:
Posts: 2929
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:20 pm

Re: CRF250X airbox and jet

Post by Wingfixer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:22 am

Sturmz15 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:19 am
I just picked up a 2016 CRF250X and I would like to open up the airbox and adjust the jetting. The problem I am facing is that I am not a mechanic and doing this may require removing the carb. I certainly want to learn how to work on my bike for instances like this but I also do want to use a 7K bike as a guinea pig. Looking for a mechanic or someone who has done this before help me out. I will be happy to pay for any service but would like to learn at the same time. Im in Balto County so any referrals are greatly appreciated.
If you're not in a hurry to get it done I'll have some time at the end of April. Be glad to give you a hand. I'm pretty sure you can rejet it without pulling the carb. Easy enough job.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.

User avatar
Bucho
DAMN Grand Poohba
Reactions:
Posts: 4142
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:57 am

Re: CRF250X airbox and jet

Post by Bucho » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:16 am

As a guy who is also NOT a mechanic. I can understand your apprehension to use your nice bike "as a guinea pig".
That said, doing a rejet really isnt that hard. Look online for a tutorial on "rejetting your dirtbike". You can probably even find one for specifically for your Honda CRF.
I successfully rejetted myself from watching a few videos and following the recomwndations from a jet kit I bought.
Suzuki DR650
Beta Xtrainer

User avatar
beejaytee
aka KATO
Reactions:
Posts: 313
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:56 am

Re: CRF250X airbox and jet

Post by beejaytee » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:34 am

I would not recommend cutting into the air box. Opening up the exhaust, taking out the emissions crap and are-jet, Will have that bike up to par. Get manual adjustment screw for the mixture screw as well. PM if you have any questions.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 525 exc
I work hard but live better.

User avatar
Skinny-J
DAMN Grand Poohba
Reactions:
Posts: 1214
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:05 pm

Re: CRF250X airbox and jet

Post by Skinny-J » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:35 am

Sturmz,

If Wingfixer says you need a special tool called a BFH, be very concerned. This was his favorite tool when working on airplanes. Also, be leary if he tries to sell you a FCR carb off of a 2000 WR 400....

Kiding aside, you are in good hands. If you want to tinker more with the bike you should think about picking up a service manual. It will help greatly with stuff like this. Also, sounds like you may be new to the bike thing so make sure you set your sag and don't be afraid to roll your bars and move your controls around to make the bike more comfortable.

SJ

User avatar
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer
Reactions:
Posts: 2929
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:20 pm

Re: CRF250X airbox and jet

Post by Wingfixer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:39 am

Beat it to fit, paint it to match. :shrug: I never heard any complains. :lol2:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.

User avatar
Skinny-J
DAMN Grand Poohba
Reactions:
Posts: 1214
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:05 pm

Re: CRF250X airbox and jet

Post by Skinny-J » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:42 am

beejaytee wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:34 am
I would not recommend cutting into the air box. Opening up the exhaust, taking out the emissions crap and are-jet, Will have that bike up to par. Get manual adjustment screw for the mixture screw as well. PM if you have any questions.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am not sure I agree. Opening up the exhaust to let more out will only help if you can first get more in; an engine is really just a big air pump. I an not familiar with his particular bike but I suspect he is talking about removing some form of snorkle or restrictor plate, not cutting a hole in the side of the box maybe like you are thinking? Lots of these green sticker bikes have this same issue and its a pretty standard thing to do...

SJ

User avatar
beejaytee
aka KATO
Reactions:
Posts: 313
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:56 am

CRF250X airbox and jet

Post by beejaytee » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:19 pm

Skinny-J wrote:
beejaytee wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:34 am
I would not recommend cutting into the air box. Opening up the exhaust, taking out the emissions crap and are-jet, Will have that bike up to par. Get manual adjustment screw for the mixture screw as well. PM if you have any questions.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am not sure I agree. Opening up the exhaust to let more out will only help if you can first get more in; an engine is really just a big air pump. I an not familiar with his particular bike but I suspect he is talking about removing some form of snorkle or restrictor plate, not cutting a hole in the side of the box maybe like you are thinking? Lots of these green sticker bikes have this same issue and its a pretty standard thing to do...

SJ
I think you're right; there might be a snorkel. Removing that will help with the other mods. It was common to hack away at the air box of bikes in the early 2000s. The crfx responds well to just simple mods and has plenty of flow into the air box without permanently nodding the air box.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 525 exc
I work hard but live better.

J&J
DAMN Poohba
Reactions:
Posts: 664
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:54 pm

Re: CRF250X airbox and jet

Post by J&J » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:55 pm

Get this
Image
Easy to follow instructions, & spot on jetting. Followed his instructions for Colorado... perfect, at home for sea level... perfect. No brainer :shrug:

User avatar
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer
Reactions:
Posts: 2929
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:20 pm

Re: CRF250X airbox and jet

Post by Wingfixer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:27 pm

J&J wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:55 pm
Get this
Image
Easy to follow instructions, & spot on jetting. Followed his instructions for Colorado... perfect, at home for sea level... perfect. No brainer :shrug:
+1 :thumbup:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest