I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

DRZ400 Bent valves; need to cut seats

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Nobody
DAMN Poohba

DRZ400 Bent valves; need to cut seats

Post by Nobody »

Hi everyone! :cheers:

I have both intake valves bent on my DRZ. Need to replace at least IN valves, but I tend to replace all of them.
So first problem to find good valves. I've read good things about RHC and APE and uncertain about KibbleWhite. Can anyone recommend any of them or other brand (I think I want to go for stainless steel).

Emailed to Sisneros Speed Works and he's ready to do the job (RHC valves). Today I accidentally found a topic on ThumperTalk that around 2013/2014 he started to scam people and looks like his webpage has not been updated since that. So no way I will send my head to him.

Can't find anyone doing valve seat cutting nearby, most likely just using wrong keywords.. :think:

Have found http://www.ronhamp.com/, http://www.aperaceparts.com/, http://mxtimeinc.com/, haven't contacted any of them yet. The problem is I'm now reluctant to send my head, but would rather bring it to the shop myself and for that I need a more or less local shop. That way it is less likely I will spend whole summer with the head being "serviced".

What would you suggest?
1)some local shop with good rep (perhaps combined with ordering valves&stuff online).
2)send it to one of the above (which would be best?)
3)send it to someone else who has a good rep.
4)smth else?

Should I be picky between the brands of valves or most of stainless steel will do good? I'm planning to ride trails mostly, some adv riding, so max performance is not that important to me. I just want it to last.
And make the bike running again soon! :roost:
Every day is a good day when you ride
jgreene
DAMN Expert

Re: DRZ400 Bent valves; need to cut seats

Post by jgreene »

Randy Mann at Fastmann Racing in Mercersburg, PA does all the machine work in house. I have had 2 heads done by him with great results. Randy's number is 717.328.5543. I would also suggest talking Buck Gelwick in Hagerstown. Very knowledgeable, and reasonable prices. Buck can be reached at 301.988.1981.
Member R&T Club, and GMER
UncleND
DAMN n00b

Post by UncleND »

Burtonsville Performance Machine could cut the valve seats and any machine work you needed. You would need to check with them as far as time table and cost. They do primarily race car engines. You would most likely have to supply the valves and other parts.
Nobody
DAMN Poohba

Post by Nobody »

Thanks for recommendations.
Called Burtonsville first as closest. They can only do larger engines, valve stem 5.5mm or more. (drz has around 4.9)

Randy Mann agreed to do it - blasting and cutting 150$. Will send it to him, just have to wait for new valves first as he needs at least one of each to do it properly.

I chose Faction MX ss valves. Wanted APE, but have to wait 4 weeks+. Anyway hope the top end will not bother me again soon. Most things that wear out will be replaced. Valves, chain, MCCT, valve guides and springs, piston rings. Should be good as new :).
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

DRZ should be good as new for a long time after this...
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
OneFaller
DAMN Expert

Post by OneFaller »

Nobody wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:04 am 3)send it to someone else who has a good rep.
Allen at dualSport Armory did the CRF, and it's great. *very* reasonable prices.

tell him I sent ya.

yes, it's a bit of a drive to Bridgewater, but it's worth it.
Disaster Racing
Nobody
DAMN Poohba

Post by Nobody »

Thank you!

I hope I won't need it again though as my DRZ has already been to couple of rides with DAMN riders after repairs :)