I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Cracked Rim

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Cracked Rim

Post by Rut Row »

I bought a rear wheel for the Wasp off of FleaBay. This is my first bad experience buying things so I guess I shouldn't complain too much. :rant:

However the rim is cracked on both sides. Can this be welded and if so, is there anyone around you would recommend to do that?
CrackedRim.jpg
CrackedRim.jpg (81.41 KiB) Viewed 3641 times
CrackedRim2.jpg
CrackedRim2.jpg (105.73 KiB) Viewed 3641 times
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Roadracer_Al

Re: Cracked Rim

Post by Roadracer_Al »

I thought you were buying wheels to make a set of SuMo wheels. The only parts you need are the hub & brakes, so it's a non-issue.

However, it's a good way to beat up the seller for some cash back. And, I'd definitely leave a negative if the seller didn't state clearly in the ad that the rim was cracked -- for any purpose other than yours, it would be un-usable, un-safe, defective merchandise. I'd also say it would be impossible to not notice that it was cracked, as big as it is.

To answer your question, I've welded cast street bike rims, and spoked rims are actually rolled up out of sheet stock and welded (kinda cool process, I'll see if I can find a youtube video), so as long as you can dress the bead seating area, I see no reason why it should not be welded. You will have to un-lace the rim in order to have it welded. Also, I'd expect some serious distortion, unless the welder really knows how to alternate sides to balance the inevitable weld distortion.

PS, did you have a chance to measure the front wheel?
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Mark Bailey in Spencerville does a good job at stuff like this.

301-421-1832.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Roadracer_Al wrote:I thought you were buying wheels to make a set of SuMo wheels. The only parts you need are the hub & brakes, so it's a non-issue.

However, it's a good way to beat up the seller for some cash back. And, I'd definitely leave a negative if the seller didn't state clearly in the ad that the rim was cracked -- for any purpose other than yours, it would be un-usable, un-safe, defective merchandise. I'd also say it would be impossible to not notice that it was cracked, as big as it is.

To answer your question, I've welded cast street bike rims, and spoked rims are actually rolled up out of sheet stock and welded (kinda cool process, I'll see if I can find a youtube video), so as long as you can dress the bead seating area, I see no reason why it should not be welded. You will have to un-lace the rim in order to have it welded. Also, I'd expect some serious distortion, unless the welder really knows how to alternate sides to balance the inevitable weld distortion.
I mispoke - just wanted to have a second set of wheels with street tires. I'm definitely going to try to get some money back, then give a bad feedback.
Roadracer_Al wrote:PS, did you have a chance to measure the front wheel?
measurement coming up - I'm pulling the tank, etc this afternoon now that the temp has warmed up
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

mdubya wrote:Mark Bailey in Spencerville does a good job at stuff like this.

301-421-1832.
thanks - I'll give him a call
Ken
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Since you are going to have to unlace the wheel to get the rim off. I would be happy to donate the stock rims from my first set of DR wheels. I used the hubs to make supermoto wheels. I have the rims just sitting in my shed.
But the rear is an odd 17 inch, probably exact same size as a KLR rear.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

It can be welded and it will last but theres a good chance it will crack again. I still run one of my rims thats been repaired for a long time and i am a fat bitch that loves to pound rocks so it has a rough life.

before putting anymore money into it you really should completely check out that wheel. First it is already bent, set wheel on a axle or real long extention rigged on a trueing stand or tie downs forom the ceiling, spin the wheel with a fixed point near the rim you will see how off it is. Also it looks like a KTM rim, if so really check out where the spokes meet the rim, this area will wear bad if not cared for. the spokes will start to pull thru after a while. also the hub can be loose where the bearings go if they just beat the bearing in, instead of freezing them first. last thing on rear ktm rear hubs are the sprockets mounts, if they let the sprocket get loose they egg out then break.

I'll take a pic of my repair if i get a chance

I have a great guy in Baltimore, it definately be under $50. could be $20. but the other guy might be closer, anybody that does aluminum