I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Looking for a tailor

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Looking for a tailor

Post by phoo »

I need multiple zippers fixed on my Aerostich. I need a tailor in the central Maryland area who can do proper replacements, which means open up the seams, properly handle and replace the liner, and has needles and machine capable of handling multiple layers of Cordura.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,

Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Re: Looking for a tailor

Post by Marylander »

Hmm, I wonder if you'll find a tailor who can do this.I couldn't when I wanted some stuff done on my original stich (this was about 15 years ago). If you don't want to send the suit back to duluth you might try to find someone who does tent repair or similar. I sent my suit back to the factory last year to have the water resistant YKK main zippers installed. For the smaller zippers like the arms I've only had to replace the pulls and I've done that myself. My suit is over 10 years old now and has about 150k miles on it. Good stuff.
Longboardr
DAMN Expert

Post by Longboardr »

For heavier duty clothing I use a shoe repair place. Their machines are made to deal with heavier material than what a tailor normally sees.
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

Send it back to Aerostitch. Don't worry about the prices on there website, they will call you with an estimate. I did this looking for a patch & they did a complete panel & zipper....
Very reasonable & like new.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

J&J wrote:Send it back to Aerostitch.
+1

talk to Bucho. He's had his 'stitch rebuilt by them.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

They're just really slow, but I'll give them a call. They bumped me in line when I told them I lived in San Francisco and didn't own a car (which was true) but I don't know if I can convince them that I really do most of my riding in the winter here because in the summer I need to cart the kids to daycare.

Patrick

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
1975 Harley FXE1200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Kyler wrote:
J&J wrote:Send it back to Aerostitch.
+1

talk to Bucho. He's had his 'stitch rebuilt by them.

I cant remember how long it took them to repair mine (a couple weeks?)
But they did a great job. Aerostich is great. One of the best pieces of gear I ever bought.

Im still having trouble getting my 650 going, so Im not wearing mine. If you want to borrow my stinky one for a few weeks.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Honestly, I think I'm mostly pissed because I paid them so much money to repair my suit, including replacing the zippers, and here I am with every zipper with a replacement tab except the one on my right leg where the metal piece that holds the tab on went flying somewhere so I have no tab at all, but even more than that both the top of the pants and the bottom of the jacket (I have a two piece roadcrafter) if I don't have both sides lined up perfectly I can't zip it, or worse.

Then again I have over 200,000 miles on the thing and the neck closure doesn't work anymore (also replaced that velcro in the past, along with the pocket velcro, which also now no longer stays closed) so I probably should just get a new one entirely. I actually love this suit and I'm quite happy with it. I just hate having to make the same repairs to it again, I guess. :-/ But mostly I hate how problems with the suit is actually what's keeping me from riding more.

Waaaaaaaaah! :-P

~Patrick
1975 Harley FXE1200
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Holy sweet jeebus! Prices almost doubled since I got my suit. :/

$210 to fix my current suit, or $1430, possibly plus $100 leg gusset to replace my current suit with a new one. But at least with Aerostich I could just give them my name and they already know all of the alterations and sizing information for my suit so I know it'll be a good custom fit right out of the box.

~Patrick
1975 Harley FXE1200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

phoo wrote:Holy sweet jeebus! Prices almost doubled since I got my suit. :/

$210 to fix my current suit, or $1430, possibly plus $100 leg gusset to replace my current suit with a new one. But at least with Aerostich I could just give them my name and they already know all of the alterations and sizing information for my suit so I know it'll be a good custom fit right out of the box.
quit whining and take the money you got from selling the 'wings and get a new suit! You deserve it :deal:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris