I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Spokes

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
restukey
DAMN Expert

Spokes

Post by restukey »

Can I reuse spokes? I am going to get some powder coating done on a sumo wheel. Any opinions?
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Spokes

Post by mdubya »

I say you can re-use spokes. But I don't approve of powder coating wheels.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Added un-sprung weight got you down? Try the new Fadkins Diet for slimmer, trimmer rims!

The hexes on spoke nipples, which are often brass, are quite fragile. Personally, I'd order a complete set of nipples from Buchannans, they can't cost that much. If you opt for stainless spoke nipples, and have stainless spokes (quite probable), you must put anti-seize on the threads before assembly or the threads will gall.

http://www.buchananspokes.com/product.htm

You could get yourself a set of bitchin' chrome-plated twisted spokes.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

all this talk of nipples is... :knary:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Attachments
hard_nipples.jpg
hard_nipples.jpg (212.49 KiB) Viewed 3752 times
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
restukey
DAMN Expert

Post by restukey »

I was wondering about the powdercoating of rims? Why not recommended? I just want a black rim.
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

spokes are fine to re use but they do stretch and wear out, the bucannon is the shit, sending the whole wheel to them is the best deal but not with a trashed rim

not sure why else but the powder coating can chip durring mounting and can't be repaired resulting in ugly. Better off with plain rims or just bying a black excell. my black excells got marked up from changing tires and riding too, they were pretty.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

restukey wrote:I was wondering about the powdercoating of rims? Why not recommended? I just want a black rim.
Nothing wrong with powder coating. I prefer the look and durability of anodizing, personally.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
restukey
DAMN Expert

Post by restukey »

I am just worried about the anodizing fading really quick. I had it happen on the ducati, and I am not sure why?