I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Fighting with the 300

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Re: Fighting with the 300

Post by Hare »

the hub spacer is a wear item too. same with wheel spacers and even the axle too although the axle will last a while.

There is a lot to be said for the complete aftermarket kit that has the bearings, hub spacer, wheel spacers, bearing and seals (if applies) all in one. make sure to get the correct set for the axle size you have, if that don't fix it something is wrong with the hub or its the a hub off another bike.

I would put my money on the hub spacer being too long or someone beat a bearing in wrong and it cant bottom out.

I wouldn't run it, if the sprocket is not lined up you can cause all kind of problems you don't need.
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

Damage Inc. wrote:Step back and start over..

Completely disassemble all the wheel bearings look at the hub and make sure no trash got on to the seating area inside. I've seen where people have forced a bearing in and caused the aluminum to scrape off and deposit on the seat. If this has the inner sleeve/spacer, then build it without the hub. Take the axle bolt and feed it though the swing arm-spacer-bearing-center spacer-bearing-spacer. And see if it fits right. If so then somethings up with the hub. if not then something up with the bearings or the spacers or possibly the swing arm. How does the inside of the arm look and the caliper slide thingy. Not often but if it was run for a while with a loose wheel then they could be damaged. KTM didn't do somekindabullshit with selectable spacers did they?

yeah what he said! :hi5:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

I'm going to order the upgrade kit and go from there.

I did take everything apart,again, and it went together like it was supposed to. I even popped off the brake caliper to get a better look at things.
I did a little grinder action to one spacer and used one of the original spacers, which really just looks like a fat washer. Tightened it down without a hitch, took a few measurements and everything lined up. Little test ride and all seemed well, so we said, "fuk it" and ran it hard for a couple hours today. It'll work for now and until the snow flies, then we'll put it in the garage and tear the whole bike down.

I still don't really know why things were off. How many times have you pulled rear wheel and then all of a sudden one won't go back on :shrug:

Hey, it's a $900 bike, I'm not complaining :deal:

My son and SIL thing it's "beastly" :lol2: They can't keep the front tire on the ground.
Bruce
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Naked pictures

Got it tore down and back together. No issues with rear hub, still gonna get custom kit to put on. Two other things remain, kick start bolt broke off and ez out broke off in shaft :lol2: It works.

And is there supposed to be a lower chain roller? I added one (bolt was cut down after pic taken) where it looked like it was supposed to go.

Bruce
Damage Inc.
DAMN Expert

Post by Damage Inc. »

I don't think my '00 had one when I got it....The KTM parts list does shows one.

part numbers
52303053100 35mm roller
0625006087 bearing 2 needed
7400302100 bushing
0015080353 bolt
54310086200 lock nut
I think I used an Allballs kit off ebay
'00 KTM 300EXC Brakes just slow you down
'06 VTX1300r
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

The 250 EXC I had and my 450 EXC don't have one
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Replaced the PDS joints on that sucker today......what a chore :deal:

The original was totally fried, worn through the bearing into the swingarm. That's why it was clunking.
Bruce
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Lookup "Morgans Tool"
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

juddspaintballs wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:01 pm Lookup "Morgans Tool"
Yeah I did. Kinda made my own with sockets and large bolt/nuts etc. Worked like a charm.
Getting, or beating the old one out was the issue. Also I'm lazy and left swing arm on bike with tire on :lol2:
Actually went okay, but it's some work.
Bruce
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

I've done it on the bike before. It's a pain, but it works. Invest in the neoprene sock for the lower heim joint to cover it and that joint will last a long time. You could also cut up an old front tube and make a cover for it.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R