I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

I've been doing some wrenching

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

I've been doing some wrenching

Post by juddspaintballs »

I'm nearly ready to ride dirt again and I had to get the bike back together.

I had Allen rebuild and revalve my forks. They look good. They should make me at lease 87% better at riding.

I ditched the broken halogen headlight and installed a number plate with a LED driving light bolted to it and reinforced with a strip of metal from behind.

I ditched the halogen tail light setup that liked to fill up with mud and become useless. I'm using the Tusk LED tail/brake combo light installed on the KTM fender.

And...the whole reason I broke my wrist stemmed from overheating. I bought a Spal radiator fan off of Amazon. According to Thumper Talk, this is the same fan KTM uses in their fan kits. This was was $48 and I simply zip tied it onto the aftermarket radiators I have. I didn't think either the KTM or the Trail Tech fan kits' brackets would fit. Even this fan zip tied on is a tight fit. I wired it via relay to come on with the parking light. It's pretty loud, but it moves a ton of air. I might need to keep it off in the winter so I don't freeze my radiator!

Just need to order wheel bearings and install them so I can put the front wheel back on and get back on the horse.

Oh yeah, since the ER cut my pants off (I knew they would and I hated those pants anyways), I got a pair of Klim Dakar pants to wear.

Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: I've been doing some wrenching

Post by Bucho »

Nice Jed. Looking good.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Cool man, hope to see you out there soon.
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Well, crap. I found a hole in my left radiator (non-fan side). Any recommendations for replacements?
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

GPI radiators on ebay. Usually ~$100 for the pair. For a china product I've been pleased with them. Plus they are much heavier duty than the oems.
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Thanks for the tip! I was looking at Myler's ($290/pair), Mishimoto ($200/pair).

These look right?

I'll need radiator guards, too. I can't bring myself to spend $200 on the Bullet Proof radiator guards, though.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

That is them. Might want to check other listings as they do have a US warehouse so you don't have to wait for them to get here from China.

The rads that fit the new-to-me kx125 are available from China and US sellers for the same price.
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Wheel bearings, GPI radiators, and silicone hoses ordered. I noticed that I have kinked throttle cables up near my top clamp, so that's probably from during the crash. I think I have a new spare set of those somewhere.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

I started the day off fitting the new GPI radiators and hoses. Some of the outlets on the radiators needed persuaded in a slightly different bend, but that was easily done. The bleeder hole in the top of the right radiator wasn't drilled all the way through (it was a blind threaded hole basically), so I finished drilling it through. Some of the hoses needed cut a wee bit shorter, but all in all, the radiators and hoses fit better than the Misimoto radiators I took off did. Not bad for $125 or so for both.

While the radiators were off, I checked the valves. Still perfect.

I installed the new throttle cables. Apparently one of the cables had snapped at the carb at some point and I simply never noticed. I put the tank, side panels, and seat back on at that point.

On to wheel bearings. I put the spacers in the freezer while I warmed up the hub with the torch. It didn't take much effort to get the bearings, grease seals, and spacers all together properly. I finally got the front wheel back on, left the pinch bolts loose, and bounced it all around before tightening things up.

Drained the oil, cleaned out the two oil screens and two reusable oil filters, and put some fresh lube in.

Now, the sacrilegeous part...I washed it. Simple green all over it after it got wet, then scrub brushed it until somewhat clean. It looks somewhat presentable.

Fresh ethanol free high test in the tank. Crack open the petcock and...hard to start. It finally fires up with coercion and doesn't idle well. Well, crap. I guess my carb needs cleaned. I'm stumped as to why, however. I only ever feed it ethanol free high test and the petcock has been off since the day after my wreck. Oh well, I guess I'll splash it in the ultrasonic tomorrow and see how it goes.

After the bike drip dried, I sprayed WD-40 on the chain, parked it up against the wall and plugged it into the tender. I even swept up the garage.

Tomorrow's task is to dip the carb in the ultrasonic cleaner along with another carb for a pressure washer I need to clean, change the oil in the Wee, and put the Ricor Intiminators in the Wee's forks. I'm starting to be tempted to take a bike with me to the Three Springs Enduro.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

I'm up and running. I cleaned the carb manually and in the ultrasonic cleaner a few times. I adjusted the throttle cables and took it for a short ride on the property. For some reason, my speedometer sensor isn't working anymore. I'll investigate later.

I also pulled the forks off of the Wee, put in fresh fluid and Ricor Intiminators, and changed the oil/filter in the motor.

Cleaning the carb on the pressure washer didn't work. It'll run on choke only. $30 carb that can't be adjusted or jetted. I'll just replace it.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R