I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Why I don't work on carbs

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Why I don't work on carbs

Post by Laoch »

f_ck carburetors....

Finally decided to get around to checking the jets on this DAMN bike...got carb off/out no worries.
Trying to remove screws on the bowel is a fucking disaster...those fuckers are tight and now mostly stripped :frustrated:

Now I gotta take it to the shop and again explain my incompetence and fork over $$ (They are used to me :lol2: )

I can guess that after the air box was opened and exhaust added that the jets were not changed and that is why bike doesn't run well above 3k and 55-60 mph.
Bruce
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: Why I don't work on carbs

Post by Laoch »

Bike shop closed; so I can attack with full arsenal of tools: impact driver, needle nosed visegrips, dremel, heat- wait- no heat.... :lol2:

Question: what jets should I have with opened air box and T4 FMF exhaust? And what about that needle thing?
Bruce
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

What kinda bike?
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Wingfixer wrote:What kinda bike?
:lol2:

2003 KLX 400, a green DRZ 400
Bruce
frogman1981
DAMN Expert

Post by frogman1981 »

I used vice grips on those stupid screws.
I got the James Dean kit. It came with Allen head replacement screws, much better. The JD kit also came with every combination of jets and needles you will ever need. It has great instructions. It tells you what to do according to your mods.
I still have what's left of the kit. I'll look and see what the instruction suggest for your set up if you want?
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

frogman1981 wrote:I used vice grips on those stupid screws.
I got the James Dean kit. It came with Allen head replacement screws, much better. The JD kit also came with every combination of jets and needles you will ever need. It has great instructions. It tells you what to do according to your mods.
I still have what's left of the kit. I'll look and see what the instruction suggest for your set up if you want?
Great idea...I just ordered JD kit. Seems best deal and maybe easy for non- carb minded folks like me.
And I did get all screws out using a combination of the above methods. PITA :deal:
Bruce
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

I can hook you up with a nice blue bike that doesn't have those silly PIA carbs... :amazon:
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
frogman1981
DAMN Expert

Post by frogman1981 »

Those screws suck almost as much as those blue bikes!
It's a nice kit. I got 26000 miles on mine, no problems.
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

These things are priceless for those screws:
http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-scr ... 37530.html

Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
thetable
DAMN Expert

Post by thetable »

First, start with the right screwdriver. These are not your father's phillips screws. Get yourself a nice set of JIS screwdrivers. I've been really happy with the Vessel drivers.

A little Screwgrab is nice stuff to have too, but I'm betting a proper sized JIS driver will pull the mangled screws right on out.