I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Why I don't work on carbs

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Why I don't work on carbs

Post by Rut Row »

BillyGoat wrote:I don't know why everyone is talking about JIS screws etc...just go get some nice Cap-head hex key type screws. They work best and will never be a problem to remove. Plus they'll be $1 instead of $50 for the screwdrivers. Just my uninformed opinion that's all. :chicken kiss:
I always replace Phillips screws with socket head whenever I work on something. But I own a set of JIS screwdrivers to get those mofos out!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

WOw. A screwdriver with built in impact driver? Now that seems worth the extra cost for teh standard +2 size phillips or JIS. This would make all the difference (to me at least).
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

BillyGoat wrote:I don't know why everyone is talking about JIS screws etc...just go get some nice Cap-head hex key type screws. They work best and will never be a problem to remove. Plus they'll be $1 instead of $50 for the screwdrivers. Just my uninformed opinion that's all. :chicken kiss:
You have to get the old screws out first. Sometimes it's not possible without the right tools.
Socket hex heads have their own set of problems, but the majority of any of these screw problems could be resolved with stainless steel screws, no matter what head is on them.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Now I'm really cornfused...I thought I had this stuff half way figured out. Most info I see says to increase main jet to around a 150.

I got this JD kit and it says put in a 134...I already have a 142.5 (stock).

What gives?
Bruce
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Now I'm really cornfused...I thought I had this stuff half way figured out. Most info I see says to increase main jet to around a 150.

What gives?

Mmmmm...looks like I got a Dynojet stage one kit..says it can be used for open pipe/air filter-which I have, doesn't say it can be used with 3x3 mod.

Wtf?
Bruce
thetable
DAMN Expert

Post by thetable »

dirtygrunt wrote:Now I'm really cornfused...I thought I had this stuff half way figured out. Most info I see says to increase main jet to around a 150.

What gives?

Mmmmm...looks like I got a Dynojet stage one kit..says it can be used for open pipe/air filter-which I have, doesn't say it can be used with 3x3 mod.

Wtf?
Different standards. Don't compare numbers between brands. If you don't have it, then get the JD kit (NOT Dynojunk, but James Dean Jetting.) Follow his directions, prepare for a much better world. If you have problems, give him a shout.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

thetable wrote: Different standards. Don't compare numbers between brands. If you don't have it, then get the JD kit (NOT Dynojunk, but James Dean Jetting.) Follow his directions, prepare for a much better world. If you have problems, give him a shout.
Got it...I contacted JD and ordered the correct kit (hopefully).
Bruce
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

I've got a JD kit you can have. After putting a 434 kit and open exhaust on it I ended up needing jets bigger than came with the kit. The only thing I'm using is the richer of the two needles (the red one IIRC). You're welcome to it. I'm working on a deal for a slider carb for the Dizzer so I could make you a smokin deal on my carb too! It already has hex head stainless steel screws in the bowl and a remote idle adjuster. :deal: I'm pretty sure I was running a 145 main and a 22.5 idle(this one I am less sure of) before I put the 434 kit on. That was with the 3x3 mod, stock exhaust.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Wingfixer wrote:I've got a JD kit you can have. After putting a 434 kit and open exhaust on it I ended up needing jets bigger than came with the kit. The only thing I'm using is the richer of the two needles (the red one IIRC). You're welcome to it. I'm working on a deal for a slider carb for the Dizzer so I could make you a smokin deal on my carb too! It already has hex head stainless steel screws in the bowl and a remote idle adjuster. :deal: I'm pretty sure I was running a 145 main and a 22.5 idle(this one I am less sure of) before I put the 434 kit on. That was with the 3x3 mod, stock exhaust.
Thanks WF, I already ordered kit from JD.
434 kit huh?
Bruce
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

dirtygrunt wrote: 434 kit huh?
Oh yeah! Really woke her up! I'm also running a thin base gasket = 12.3/1 comp. The FCR will be the finishing touch!
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.