I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Plastic Gas Tank Repair

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Plastic Gas Tank Repair

Post by phoo »

The big gas tank (Clarke 3.9 or whatever) on my DRZ400 leaks around/through the threads for the completely unnecessary crossbar at the front. At the Shenandoah 500, I plugged this hole with gas tank repair goop and it worked fine for that trip and for a month afterward, but now it leaks again because said goop can't really get a good purchase on the plastic and because it gets hard and separates from the tank. What is the best way to permanently fix this weep (aka less than a "leak" but more than a "seep")? I'm willing to do whatever, since I actually have a brand new replacement but honestly since this is the first replacement (which replaced a tank with exactly the same condition), I'd rather try to fix this one permanently and leave the other one in the box, since the other one in the box could very possibly have the same problem. And this way I get a free spare for my troubles. ;)

Anyway, I'm not putting the crossbar back in and the leak is behind the front fairing wing-things and hidden from view, so I'm willing to do what it takes to fix it.

Thanks,

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Plastic Gas Tank Repair

Post by Boom Boom »

Direct the drip to the exhaust area, problem solved :killingme:
Big Bird seems to be good at cutting plastic tanks into pieces and screwing them back together again...perhaps he will lend his advise.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Boom Boom wrote:Direct the drip to the exhaust area, problem solved :killingme:
Big Bird seems to be good at cutting plastic tanks into pieces and screwing them back together again...perhaps he will lend his advise.
oh THAT was COLD! :killingme:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

Use a soldering iron to melt the hole shut. If you have to add material, use the grey electrical conduit PVC.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

JB Weld is awesome.
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

juddspaintballs wrote:Use a soldering iron to melt the hole shut. If you have to add material, use the grey electrical conduit PVC.
This. Or get/borrow a plastic wielder. I think either BigBird or Kyler have one.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Wingfixer wrote:
juddspaintballs wrote:Use a soldering iron to melt the hole shut. If you have to add material, use the grey electrical conduit PVC.
This. Or get/borrow a plastic wielder. I think either BigBird or Kyler have one.
must be Sam - all I have is MIG.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Post by anotherguy »

waserman
DAMN Expert

Post by waserman »

BillyGoat wrote:JB Weld is awesome.
I second this ,I did a repair with the JB weld on a KLX250R and that was........10 years ago . The bike was sold but I never heard that the tank ever leaked from the friend that bought it . Clean it really good and scratch/scuff up the area,I actually used like 60 grit cloth around the repair.
John

DER ECEA AMA
Class: A Super Senior, open

Husqvarna TE 510
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Thanks for the help, all. I'll take these into consideration and make that call I owe to Sam and let you guys know if it works.

Thanks,

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200