I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

yz250f gas coming from carburetor drain ???

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
wbrewer
DAMN n00b

yz250f gas coming from carburetor drain ???

Post by wbrewer »

I started up my yz250f today, gas was pouring out a carb drain when I turned the petcock on. The bike started right up and kept pouring out when I shut the bike off. I started it up a couple times & it keeps pouring out when the petcock is opened. What would do this? stuck float? needle? The leaking line is on the left side at a tee in the middle of the carb. Any insight is appreciated!!! thanks!!!
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: yz250f gas coming from carburetor drain ???

Post by gots_a_sol »

Most likely a stuck needle and/or float. Try tapping on the float bowl with a screwdriver or something and see if it comes un-stuck.
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

wbrewer wrote:stuck float? needle?
Yup....
might be able to tap on the float bowl but most likely need to take it apart & clean it.
I shut the gas off & let the carb run dry when bikes, mowers ect is going to sit for a while.
YAMPOL
DAMN Wanabe

Post by YAMPOL »

I had a Yamaha that did that once and it was the o-ring around the seat for the needle.
Retired and loving it!
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Post by anotherguy »

I've seen a couple split the overflow tube in the float bowl from a little bit of water. Pop the bowl and inspect.
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

zAgree. Stuck needle. Just tap float bowl will hammer, clean/dry out the gas (well), make sure none is flooding intake manifold before starting. If wont start and engine locks up then gasoline is in cylinder. I personally wouldn't bother taking off the bowl or cleaning it. Why? It happened on my brand new (then) 09 KTM 450 EXC. After I tapped the bowl it has never happened again. If it happened twice, THEN i'd take it apart.
Last edited by BillyGoat on Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

bah, just buy a new bike. Problem solved! :hi5:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris