I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

CRF80F with stiff clutch

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

CRF80F with stiff clutch

Post by BillyGoat »

Just picked up this 05 CRF80F and noticed it has a very stiff clutch. The feel seems to be not in the lever or cable but in the clutch itself,,,but I could be wrong.

Has anyone any experience with this? I'm thinking of trying to replace the cable iwth one of those nice MotionPro cables, but what else can I do?
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: CRF80F with stiff clutch

Post by Boom Boom »

I would lube the cable first.
Then pull the cover and inspect the clutch. If an even amount of springs...remove 2 directly across from each other.
Also have a look at the springs, the PO might have installed aftermarket springs for more race type riding. A set of stock springs should not bust the bank.
On past cable clutch bikes I have installed an extension on the lever arm at the case and this allowed an easier pull but also gave a longer range for clutch engage. This was something we done to most cable clutch trials bikes.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

I would agree with lubing the cable first. Jacob had one that was stock & easy peasy..... I don't think I ever touched it.
thetable
DAMN Expert

Post by thetable »

Also worth checking the cable routing. It doesn't take much of a kink or a tight radius to really bind things up.
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

Thanks guys. Is the CRF80F a "conventional" clutch design?

If so I'll check that clutch spring thing. I ask cuz last time I busted into one....a CRF70...(autoclutch) all these strange and wierd looking parts fell out....and it took me about 12 tries to get it back together in the proper order and working right.
KTM 450 EXC mostly
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

OK. Lubed the cable. But the biggest "fix" was that I put something into the lever to "jam" it closer to the grip. That worked perfectly and cost about 1 cent. With my son on the bike and hand on the lever, I just closed the lever until he was confortable. Then drilled a hole into the web of the lever (the web with hole fits in the groove of the perch). THen I hammered a spring steel roll pin into the hole which just holds the lever closer to the grip. Trimmed off the excess with a Dremel. Works great! He was happy. Daddy happy. Changed oil. Both boys rode today in the yard even tho it was about 25 degrees.

I will look into removing the 2 springs from the clutch. Just have to do homework on this first.
KTM 450 EXC mostly