I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Shop in frederick??

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
DirtyRooster
DAMN n00b

Shop in frederick??

Post by DirtyRooster »

Wheres the best place in or nearish frederick to take my cfr 450x with seized motor?
thetable
DAMN Expert

Re: Shop in frederick??

Post by thetable »

I can't really recommend a Honda shop, but I'm guessing unless it's a relatively new bike, by the time you pay shop rates, it would probably be cheaper to replace the whole bike, or at least the engine/trans with a good condition used one.
YAMPOL
DAMN Wanabe

Post by YAMPOL »

You could Tri State Cycles in Funkstown, Md. Not too far from Frederick. Straight shot up 40A.

301-797-8130
Retired and loving it!
DirtyRooster
DAMN n00b

Post by DirtyRooster »

05 crf 450X

I want to take it in, it had been running great with a little trouble starting and I did the gentlest washout on the right side and it was seized up, I suspect maybe a problem with the starter clutch???? I know it had been going, I've heard honda used little plastic rollers that are know to wear(though I've never had it apart myself) Kickeded it with a little force and it freed up but wasn't able to start the bike, at that point the starter would just whizz wouldn't crank the bike. after a few attempts to push start the bike it seized up again and I don't want to force it for fear of damaging something. Is it possible the stater clutch broke and is half stuck engaged to the crank? I have only a vague understanding of how it works since I haven't had it apart that far before.
stretchride
DAMN Expert

Post by stretchride »

Dutrow Honda is in Frederick, north on the golden mile just outside the built up area. I stopped by and discussed a problem with a mechanic there once and he was helpful but I havent had work done there, maybe someone else has and will speak up...

Did you happen to remove the plug? Just curious if it could be hydrolocked? :shrug:
jgreene
DAMN Expert

Post by jgreene »

Dutrows would be a good choice. I always received great service when I had a Honda.
Member R&T Club, and GMER
DirtyRooster
DAMN n00b

Post by DirtyRooster »

hydolocked?

I haven't spent any time messing with it, I was so upset that I couldn't ride the rest of the day tuesday, I just threw it on the truck and stuck it in the garage.

I did notice once the bike got warm it was oozing air cleaner oil. I had just cleaned it and apparently I over did it with the oil. Think maybe I sucked that crap into the carb?? Would that cause it to seize up like that?
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

Just take the plug out and try to push it in a high gear to see if the engine spins and that there's nothing in the cylinder.
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

DirtyRooster wrote:hydolocked?

I haven't spent any time messing with it, I was so upset that I couldn't ride the rest of the day tuesday, I just threw it on the truck and stuck it in the garage.

I did notice once the bike got warm it was oozing air cleaner oil. I had just cleaned it and apparently I over did it with the oil. Think maybe I sucked that crap into the carb?? Would that cause it to seize up like that?
We have crf 250r's & if they get upside down :shrug: (it happens) oil will drain from the valve cover to the aircleaner.... enough oil could get into the cylinder to hydrolock it (oil will not compress) Take out the plug & try to kick it first, then if it kicks you can try the starter. If it won't turn over with kicker put it in 4th or 5th & try to roll bike with plug still out, that will tell you if you have a problem with the starter. If it's hydrolocked it should clear out with a few cranks. If it's oil then you might need a new plug.
DirtyRooster
DAMN n00b

Post by DirtyRooster »

Ill try those suggestions this weekend but as of right now I can't kick it at all the kick starter is frozen solid.