I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Replacing fork oil, WP inverted forks (ktm)

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
restukey
DAMN Expert

Re: Replacing fork oil, WP inverted forks (ktm)

Post by restukey »

That looks like the older style open cartridge forks. The oil is not set by volume. The spring normally has some pressure on the preload spacer, but there is a washer like cup that it sits on that can go askew. Here is a video on how to set the oil level. It is really easy to get it wrong, because of trapped air.

Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

restukey wrote:That looks like the older style open cartridge forks. The oil is not set by volume. The spring normally has some pressure on the preload spacer, but there is a washer like cup that it sits on that can go askew. Here is a video on how to set the oil level. It is really easy to get it wrong, because of trapped air.

Winner...Winner...Chicken dinner
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

That's the video I used to learn what to do. I set the height with a depth gauge, but my special oil height tool finally arrived on Tuesday so I can do it faster and easier next time.

I twisted the spring and now it makes very little noise, but I swear it used to make none at all. It could just be that I'm hyper sensitive to it since I'm specifically listening for it. I'm going to leave work early today to get back to this and see if I can finally get everything feeling right when it all goes back together.

Thanks,

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Okay, something else is going on, too, but am I correct in assuming that if the spring doesn't just slide on like in this video (link goes right to the part I'm talking about) -- that the spring is too small of diameter or the plastic inner guide is too big? When I first opened up the forks, the spring was so hard to pull up that I actually thought it was fastened on somehow. And to get it back on, I need to thread it on by jamming a wrench onto that top nut then twisting the spring, using the wrench as a "thread." And now that I know what I'm hearing, I took the other fork off and can hear the spring binding on that black plastic piece when I compress it by hand.

So before I complain, am I correct that this isn't right? And yes, I realize it's been like this for over a year so I guess it's not terribly bad. I just want it to be right, and maybe this other issue I seem to be having at the moment would go away in the process. :think:

Thanks,

~Patrick
1975 Harley FXE1200
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

I asked Sam to look at this thread. He will know. Since going to mechanics school he has become a snob. Dad isn't even worthy to spoon off a tire let alone check the pressure, :poser:
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!
restukey
DAMN Expert

Post by restukey »

Ain't youtube great! Let me know if you need springs? I might have something in my stash?
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Thanks for the link. I figured you could just grind / sand it thinner. I like how he didn't pull any punches talking about the other suspension shop.

Patrick
1975 Harley FXE1200