I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

FWW install

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

FWW install

Post by Laoch »

I busted the FW nut of with an impact and tried to torque the weight on by holding the rear brake.
I managed to get a good "click" at 20, 30 and about 40 ft lbs...spec is 40 or 42. Is this good? Is there any load or force applied that if I'm not at spec, something catastrophic will happen?
I'll run it a while and then check torque again.

Any tips for locking up the FW to torque it?
Bruce
Longboardr
DAMN Expert

Re: FWW install

Post by Longboardr »

I just put my flywheel back on with the same electric impact wrench I took it off with.

If it loosened up it would shear the key and the bike would stop running. It would be very difficult to kick the bike over and you might think something was much more wrong than a loose flywheel.
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

I popped mine back on with the impact wrench too.
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Post by anotherguy »

Most companies make a flywheel holding tool. I have a couple different ones. What make/model bike?
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

IF you don't mind stressing your spokes a bit you can shift to high gear then put a wood bar through the rear spokes and against the swing arm the torque away. This is how Rekluse suggests you tighten the clutch hub nut which is often around 100 ft lbs
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Thanks guys. I think I'm good. I'll ride it a bit and recheck. I was just curious as to how others did the same thing.
Bruce
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Works for clutch and drive gears as well. Of course you have to pop off the clutch side case to get to the crank/clutch gears to use this tool, but it holds them perfectly and doesn't hurt the gears like a penny or screw driver can! Torque away. While jamming something in the wheel works, you can mess up spokes sometimes. On the trail, sure this method works well, but if you have the time, take time to not damage parts if possible.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0427/

Nice thing, it has a little magnet that holds it in place until the gears lock up on the tool.

Lots of cool bikes---
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Firebolter wrote:Works for clutch and drive gears as well. Of course you have to pop off the clutch side case to get to the crank/clutch gears to use this tool, but it holds them perfectly and doesn't hurt the gears like a penny or screw driver can! Torque away. While jamming something in the wheel works, you can mess up spokes sometimes. On the trail, sure this method works well, but if you have the time, take time to not damage parts if possible.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0427/

Nice thing, it has a little magnet that holds it in place until the gears lock up on the tool.

Simple technology that works :thumbup:

BTW -night and day difference-rode a little this morning and Wow!
Bruce
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Very cool tool. A penny works well, much better than a screwdriver, because it's soft. It'll get mangled and never be able to be used again when you're done, but in a pinch it's a good alternative.

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Bork
DAMN Poohba

Post by Bork »

phoo wrote:Very cool tool. A penny works well, much better than a screwdriver, because it's soft. It'll get mangled and never be able to be used again when you're done, but in a pinch it's a good alternative.

~Patrick
Hmmm "pinch a penny" :dry:
1997 XR600r plated, 1994 XR600r plated, 1972 SL350, 1971 SL100, 1983XL600r