I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Top End job on the 74 Suzuki RL250

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Top End job on the 74 Suzuki RL250

Post by Firebolter »

Just picked up the parts, WOW.......Media blasting makes it look brand new. Too Pretty! See before above and now below after........

Lots of cool bikes---
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Got home today and installed the new bars. You can see how much wider the stockers are and the angle back. Should be alot easier to ride now!

Looks alot better now and feels alot better. Used the "air in the bars" trick to remove the left hand grip and that worked awesome!

Lots of cool bikes---
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

:lurker:

lookin' good!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Pulled the stock piston off. Piston wrist pin is a little sticky, but no bad wear marks and feels good in the bearing. Bearing play is negligible so that is good. Just will soak and clean both really well. You can see some of the 2stroke lube accumulation but it is not out of the ordinary. It is clear this bike was ridden like a farm bike point to point. I looked over the frame really well and no stress marks anywhere. RL's had a rep for cracking on the left side above the foot peg.

You can see the piston I took out is not too bad. Skirts look good, no galling anywhere and no real specific wear marks or patterns.

Funny, this sticker is on the rear fender which tells me this fender might be the original and not a NOS replacement. I just assumed it was since it is so nice condition. I had to sand and repaint the front fender as it was kinda faded looking, but in good shape, so it came back really nice with a coat of silver paint as it was stock.

rear fender sticker.......

Lots of cool bikes---
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Post by anotherguy »

I'd recommend straight 30 wt oil instead of WD-40.
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

My dad would use a mix of oil and kerosene. I like WD cause it cleans quicker and keeps it cool. I use oil after I wash it when I am done with the hone. Clean cloth with oil and wipe the inside after the wash. If I get any residue, wash again and re-oil.
Lots of cool bikes---
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

iPhone takes a pretty decent photo when you set it up right!

Rings have different markings to identify top or bottom ring. Mine are slightly different colored, light and dark as stated in my manual. Some say top on them so you know etc. look at the rings and instructions to make sure you get the rings right. I assume some of the rings are identical I've just never had that as the case I can remember anyway! After market could be different than stock as well, so just check.

When you are ready to re-assemble make sure as you put the piston in with the rings in the gap so that the ring opening is aligned with the retainer pin in the piston groove. Best is if you have a ring compressor to use when re-inserting into the cylinder. This piston has 2 rings and the gaps are approx 70 degrees apart, so make sure they are both align properly as you put the piston in. Notice arrow on piston top, faces forward towards exhaust when in the cylinder.

URL=http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/missi ... 6.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

Lots of cool bikes---
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Got the honing bit yesterday. As Anotherguy recommended, the instructions for these brushes say to use oil to lube as other substances will cause the bit globules to break down. Last time I did this (over 10 years ago), it was with a "steel wool" style brush and WD was the ticket to clean the glazing.

Anyway, if you are unsure, the makers of these "Flexi Brush" have good video's to show you how to use them. Be in an area where you don't mind if a little oil gets slung from the brush. You will spin some off just oiling it and getting it ready.

I did the maximum time they recommended and did in it two 20 second sessions. All of the dark glazing came off and the cylinder looks nice and shinny. I washed it twice with soapy water and a brush until I could wipe it clean with a fresh paper towel and no residue was present. Then I oiled the cylinder to keep it clean and rust free till I re-install tomorrow. Be sure to rinse the ports and passages out really well and use a nylon brush to get in there. Some of the honing bit material will come off and get int those ports, so you really need to flush the head and wash it really good when you have the hone complete. Don't exceed the time they recommend either as you could remove too much cylinder wall material and start to oversize the bore possibly!

She's going back together tomorrow. It looks better than the pic shows, bore is perfectly clean and shinny. All of the dark glazing in the mid cylinder area around the intake ports is gone.

Lots of cool bikes---
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

:whip: you don't have much time left - we expect to see you at the trials openhouse!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

I'm trying!
Lots of cool bikes---