I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Recommend a Mechanic/Shop

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
62Tom
DAMN n00b

Recommend a Mechanic/Shop

Post by 62Tom »

ALCON,

Anybody out there that can recommend a mechanic and/or a shop to figure out a carb issue I'm having on a 2009 KTM 250XC?

Best,
Tom
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Recommend a Mechanic/Shop

Post by Boom Boom »

what is your issue?
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
62Tom
DAMN n00b

Post by 62Tom »

For about 2 months I have been fiddling with my carb (cleaning, new vent lines, adjusting air/idle screws) but for some reason I it doesnt want to kick start (this bike always started on the first/second kick). I can get it bump started, but it bogs for a bit and then runs fine. It helps if I replace the plug, but only for a few hours of engine time. I havent touched the needle/jets (other than cleaning), so I cant blame on me messing with the jetting (I only change jets and needle setting for spring/summer and fall/winter riding, which was done back in May). I have run the same gas (pump gas 93 octane for the same station), mixture (50 to 1) with Motorex Powerstroke 2T for years. I have been concentrating on the carb assuming I got some kind of fuel problem, but maybe I got an electrical problem causing the plug to not to fire hot enough and then foul (but I haven't changed plug type)????????????? This bike has 178.3 hours on it and until this issue it has been a very dependable machine (did a top end in February and everything looked great, to include reed valve). I really need to get it straighten out now though cause I'm scheduel for a series of races starting 8 September. Lastly, I forgot to mention that I live in Laurel MD. Thank you for any replies/feedback/assistance!
Taylor
DAMN Expert

Post by Taylor »

I had the same thing on a KTM, fouled plugs a lot, hard to start an bad bog. Reeds looked good but replaced them anyway. That was the fix. I'd give that a shot first before a trip to the shop.
2012 Husky WR 125
2009 Husky TE 310
2001 Harley FLHR
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

it is a bit far from you but JT Motorsports in Frederick is good (be sure to tell them you are a DAMN Rider).

Even further away is Dual-sport Armory (Winchester, VA) but they do top notch work.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

With that many hours first thing I would do is pull the plug cap and clip 1/4" of wire and re thread into fresh wire...very common to get weak spark because the wire has broken/corroded around where the cap threads into it.
Next, you can't clean a pilot jet, the honeycomb inside them will not allow a cleaning wire to pass thru, just replace it. First sign of my bike running odd, it gets a fresh pilot jet and most times all is well.
Bog = pilot jet not supplying fuel for that first 1/8th throttle, poor starting = weak spark, freshen the wire connection. Might want a fresh cap also, it could have a internal crack but odds are fresh wire connection will fix it.
Last, do you have a spark arrestor? Is it a screen type insert? Longboardr had issues with his Gas Gas and it was that stupid screen.
Not trying to take away from shop business, but for craps sake, it is a 2-stroke...even Kyler could fix them :amazon:
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Boom Boom wrote:it is a 2-stroke...even Kyler could fix them :amazon:
are you taking wagers? :harhar:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
62Tom
DAMN n00b

Post by 62Tom »

ALCON,

All good feedback! And I dont have a spark arrestor. So here is my plan of attack:

First - fresh PJ

Second - fresh wire connection....assuming it's not a seal connection and I can get the boot off of teh wire and re-connected....otherwise - new plug wire

Third - new reed

Sound like a plan?

best,
Tom
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

The wire will not be sealed, just unthread the cap from the wire, cut till you see the wire if fresh (odds are yours will be green / trim till you get fresh copper). Use a punch to pre start the new thread location so your cap does not thread into the side of the wire but dead center.
The new pilot jet should be done every year anyhow. Very small and they get build up that lessens the proper flow. Make sure you have a good fuel filter on to keep small crap from getting into the pilot jet.
Check your carb puke tubes, make sure the ends are clean and clip a very small notch in the top of the puke tube at the high point so when fuel does run out you don't suck it back in the carb with dirt following along.
Start out with a fresh plug set to proper gap.
If that don't fix it, post up again before throwing new reeds in.
If your bike had back fired a couple times for whatever reason, go straight to inspecting the reeds.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
62Tom
DAMN n00b

Post by 62Tom »

Thanks Boom Boom!

New PJ (35 for current weather conditions)...new plug...fresh plug wire conection (although I would swear the rubber boot is bonded to the wire but I should be able to push the metal cap out the end of the rubber boot - correct? - then re-thread the cap back on making a fresh connect)....problem will be solved! Carb tubes are new. Engine has never backfired