I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Winterizing the bike

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Winterizing the bike

Post by Rut Row »

Okay - this is a sad but necessary subject. The recent cold weather has me thinking about what I need to do to winterize the KTM. What do you guys do?
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Winterizing the bike

Post by mdubya »

There will be plenty of 50 degree days right through March to go out to Green Ridge for a romp. It is supposed to be back into the 60's this weekend.

Now for your Q; I would make sure you have anti freeze, not plain water or water wetter in the bike. Drain the carb float bowl. Put a few caps of Stabil in the tank. That is all you really need to do.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Other than making sure my battery is charged, I don't do anything. I feel there is enough riding here and there, this only MD. We still live south of the Mason-Dixon.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

mdubya wrote:Now for your Q; I would make sure you have anti freeze, not plain water or water wetter in the bike. Drain the carb float bowl. Put a few caps of Stabil in the tank. That is all you really need to do.
these things don't have antifreeze? :huh:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

I've known people to put plain water in, just because an event requires it, and then forget about it.

It's ALWAYS worth checking your bike for one very expensive reason: bikes don't have freeze plugs in the block.

If you have the misfortune of freezing plain water in a bike it *will* crack the cylinder. Ask me how I know. :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:
FOX8505

Post by FOX8505 »

I keep my in the house, and if it gets really cold... I put on heavy gloves before I push it outside :smoking:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Okay... I've been put in my place. :dry:

I'll wrap the KTM in an old electric blanket so it will be ready for instant use! :angel:
Ken
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Blasphemy :ride:

The only thing I winterize is the riding mower. Stabil in tank and run it so it gets in the fuel lines and carb.

I actually "Stabilize" everything. The bikes at least get exercised every couple of weeks. I can't wait to try the TW in snow. :thumbup:
I have a trickle charger deal for the KLR. Starting fluid and right leg for the others.

Winterize :lol8:
Bruce
gtop

Post by gtop »

Kyler wrote:Okay - this is a sad but necessary subject. The recent cold weather has me thinking about what I need to do to winterize the KTM. What do you guys do?
Store it at my house, i'll take care of it for you this winter :roost:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

gtop wrote:Store it at my house, i'll take care of it for you this winter :roost:
Something tells me I'd have to rebuild the engine next spring... :harhar: :fitz:
Ken