I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Broken or Cracked Cases? This might be the shizzle

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Broken or Cracked Cases? This might be the shizzle

Post by BillyGoat »

Durafix only needs propane torch. http://durafix.com/
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Broken or Cracked Cases? This might be the shizzle

Post by Rut Row »

hmmm... I know aluminum can be "brazed" but haven't seen such a low heat used before. I'd want to test it personally first before using it.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
jgreene
DAMN Expert

Post by jgreene »

For cracks, I have always had good luck with a product called Lab Metal. Can get it a most welding supply shops. http://www.alvinproducts.com/Products/Products.asp?id=1
Member R&T Club, and GMER
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

Kyler wrote:hmmm... I know aluminum can be "brazed" but haven't seen such a low heat used before. I'd want to test it personally first before using it.
Too cool isn't it? Watch the videos. They even rebuild stripped threads by putting a bolt into the molten durafix, wait for it to cool, then then just back the bolt out!
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T
Bork
DAMN Poohba

Post by Bork »

I have some that works good. At a show, I made the guy let me weld/solder the two coke cans together & it worked good. I made him pull out a random package & let me try a rod from that package. Reason is, sometimes the salesman has good rod & selling the bundles are not so good. Found out the hard way. I complained to this guy because the other stuff I had didn't work very good. He said there are alot of copy cats with too much fillers or impurities, which compromises the job. I should have some in my van, I'll check what brand it is when day light comes. Another good thing to have is mapp gas(hotter) instead of propane & carry brazing rods. I brazed my muffler on dualsport event in fl. after muffler fell off 1st day . I was able to ride next day after brazing. Still holding to this day. :thumbup:
1997 XR600r plated, 1994 XR600r plated, 1972 SL350, 1971 SL100, 1983XL600r