I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Tire and Tube recommendations

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Tire and Tube recommendations

Post by mdubya »

FOX8505 wrote: Slime you say? now I didn't realize you could slim a tube/tire combo. Always thought that only worked on a tubeless tire. I don't mean to highjack your thread but it all seems in context the orginal question.
Yep. The front actually has the original tube from when the bike was new (9/2002). The original rear lasted until I tried to keep pace with RRob and BDirt at Green Ridge last year. RRob ended up with a flat too on that lap. BDirt was un-blemmished. :lol8: :screwy:
Last edited by mdubya on Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
gtop

Post by gtop »

I've been hearing great things about this setup. http://www.nuetech.com/tubliss.shtml
DINGO

Post by DINGO »

gtop wrote:I've been hearing great things about this setup. http://www.nuetech.com/tubliss.shtml
Thanks for the note on the Tubliss core (system where you can run using no tube in your tire). After reading a couple threads on advrider http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... ht=tubliss I am not sure if they are right for me. I'm afraid that with their pention for just "blowing" and not giving you a slow leak, at higher speeds on long dirt roads (or especially pavement) that it could cause a pretty nasty wreck. They seem to be for a slower paced moto ride, and are not recommended by the manufacturer for Dual-Sport bikes that may run at higher speeds on dirt or on the pavement.

Is there really any difference if I had a stock 80/100-21 on the front and replace it with a 90/90-21 instead?
Also, what about the rear? I had a 110/100-18 on the rear and was thinking of switching to a 120/90-18.

seems like a minor ratio change, but I curious how these changes could effect the ride of a bike. Has anyone made these sort of changes before?
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I've had a tire go at 80 mph on the highway, its not that bad. Was no big deal, just coast to a stop.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

DINGO wrote:
Is there really any difference if I had a stock 80/100-21 on the front and replace it with a 90/90-21 instead?
Also, what about the rear? I had a 110/100-18 on the rear and was thinking of switching to a 120/90-18.

seems like a minor ratio change, but I curious how these changes could effect the ride of a bike. Has anyone made these sort of changes before?
They are probably the same size tire, just different way of measuring between manufacturers. i.e. the 80/100 probably measures 80 mm at the carcass and the side wall is also 80 mm (100% of 80). On the 90/90 the tire measures 90 mm wide at the edges of the knobs and the side wall is 81 mm (90 x 90%), so pretty much the same.

With the 110/100 the tire measures 110mm at the carcass, and the side wall is 110 mm (100%). On the 120/90, the tire is 120mm at the edge of the knobs and the side wall is 108mm or 120 x .9. Roughly that exact same measurements, just differing ways to measure.

If you want to be sure, just check the recommended rim size for the tire from the manu.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC