I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Tire and Tube recommendations

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
DINGO

Tire and Tube recommendations

Post by DINGO »

For a Rear Tire, I have been lookiing at the Kenda K760 Trailmaster or the Dunlop D606. If you are using or have used either of these, I would like to hear your experience with them. I will be doing mainly trails, dirt road, and very little pavement. The Kenda is $50 and the Dunlop is $70. I will be using them on a CRF540X Dual Sport.

Also, what are your tube manufacturer preferences, and why? Thanks!
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Tire and Tube recommendations

Post by Bucho »

I've been using a Dunlop D606 on the rear dirt tire of my bike. I think it does wear a little bit better for pavement, but the Kenda should be a better dirt tire just from the more agressive looking tread/knobbies. (But I've never actually used a Kenda.)
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

I run the TrakMaster II on the KTM. I recently used the TrakMaster front/rear on the KLR for the PB300. I like the rear but am not so happy fith the TrakMaster on the front. The front doesn't feel like it tracks all that well - could be me tho!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
DINGO

Post by DINGO »

Thanks for the quick input. Sounds like I am going to try the Trakmaster for the rear. The Kenda has a tire size of 110/100-18, which is idenitcal to the size that I run on it for strictly dirt. The Dunlop has a 120/90-18, the ratio isn't far off and would fit, but I'm always nervous changing a tire size.

Thanks for the help!
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

so get the danged things mounted and cone to Green Ridge Saturday :roost:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
FOX8505

Post by FOX8505 »

I'm on my second set of the D606's and I like them. I have never tried or even seen the other ones. the 606's off road are wonderful, on road there not so hot but I just deal with it.

Good luck, and let us know which way ya go and deff. report back.
FOX8505

Post by FOX8505 »

Oops, forgot the tube part of this question. I have had 6 flat tires this season and am very frustrated with flats, I've tried every tube on the planet but am currently running on HD maxxis. As far as I'm concerned, run the thickest rubber you can find. Maybe i'm wrong but it makes me feel better knowing I have a super duty rubber under those knobbies.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

FOX8505 wrote:As far as I'm concerned, run the thickest rubber you can find.
unless she complains, of course! :harhar:

If you had 6 blown tubes, maybe something else is the issue? :shrug:
Ken
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

The 606's get good reviews from everyone who tries them. The Trackmasters get the review Kyler gave (rear=good, front=not so good). I rode Trackmasters in the sand once and I thought they were pretty good. However, my old riding buddy how had them on his bike didn't like them so much at Green Ridge.

I have always run Pirelli MT 21's on my DRZ. The stock tubes were slimed from day one on the bike. I went 5 years with out a flat on those tubes! The MT 21's were always good at Green Ridge in typical GR conditions. Read that as dry with plenty of puddles in the usual spots. The MT 21's work good on the road too. Once thiongs get wet amd nasty, the MT 21's don't do nearly as well.

Since I got the KTM 520, I have been running non-DOT knobbies and I would find it hard to go back to DOT's for true off roading. The Kenda Millvilles I am using give a ridiculous amount of grip, wet or dry.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
FOX8505

Post by FOX8505 »

Kyler wrote:
FOX8505 wrote:As far as I'm concerned, run the thickest rubber you can find.
unless she complains, of course! :harhar:

If you had 6 blown tubes, maybe something else is the issue? :shrug:
oh you may be right but I just don't know what it could be. Every time I change the tubes I run a soft terry cloth on the inner tire, checking for a snag or something that would be giving me trouble. never find a problem.
The stock tubes were slimed from day one on the bike. I went 5 years with out a flat on those tubes!

Slime you say? now I didn't realize you could slim a tube/tire combo. Always thought that only worked on a tubeless tire. I don't mean to highjack your thread but it all seems in context the orginal question.