I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Steering Dampers

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Steering Dampers

Post by Rut Row »

The PB300 has convinced me I should consider a steering damper for the KTM. How hard are they to install? Is this something I can do myself?
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Steering Dampers

Post by mdubya »

Did you ride the KTM at the PB?

I personally think a properly set up bike doesn't require a damper. I might change my tune if I rode with one.

For example, I never ran a damper on my DRZ, didn't feel the need for one. But my 520 EXC tracks with so much more stability and confidence (no damper on the KTM either) it has made me wonder if the DRZ didn't need the damper after all. It also makes me think the DRZ just needed a better set up; from springs, to damping, to maybe even triple clamp off set.

So, I think a damper is more of a band aid. I would look into a good shop that really knows how to set up a KTM for the type of riding you want to do. I have had great success dealing with Bud Matto @ Matto Cycles in Pottsville, PA. I would suggest contacting him and having a good conversation about what it takes to have your EXC set up properly. He will know. After that, it is just a matter of "how much do you want to spend?" It will be well worth it if my 520 is anything to judge by.

Another suggestion: I don't have a huge amount of experience with different knobby tires, but the new Kenda Millville tires mounted on my 520 are fuggin' awesome. They are like cheating compared to anything else I have run before. I would feel guilty running them on the raod until they get fairly worn down though.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

mdubya wrote:Did you ride the KTM at the PB?

Nope but I wish I had. I rode the KLR :screwy:
mdubya wrote: I personally think a properly set up bike doesn't require a damper. I might change my tune if I rode with one.

For example, I never ran a damper on my DRZ, didn't feel the need for one. But my 520 EXC tracks with so much more stability and confidence (no damper on the KTM either) it has made me wonder if the DRZ didn't need the damper after all. It also makes me think the DRZ just needed a better set up; from springs, to damping, to maybe even triple clamp off set.

So, I think a damper is more of a band aid. I would look into a good shop that really knows how to set up a KTM for the type of riding you want to do. I have had great success dealing with Bud Matto @ Matto Cycles in Pottsville, PA. I would suggest contacting him and having a good conversation about what it takes to have your EXC set up properly. He will know. After that, it is just a matter of "how much do you want to spend?" It will be well worth it if my 520 is anything to judge by.

Another suggestion: I don't have a huge amount of experience with different knobby tires, but the new Kenda Millville tires mounted on my 520 are fuggin' awesome. They are like cheating compared to anything else I have run before. I would feel guilty running them on the raod until they get fairly worn down though.
Sounds like a visit to Bud Matto is in order - gtop - is this the same guy you rave about?
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Sounds like a visit to Bud Matto is in order
He is definitely worth a call. I have dealt with a lot of different motorcycle people over the years. Most of them didn't know much. The good ones you really remember. Bud knows his stuff.

Another place you might call:

MX Tech
Pennsylvania – East Coast Racing
1791 State Route 551
Enon Valley, PA 16120

Phone: 724-336-3293
john@mx-tech.com <john@mx-tech.com

I have spoken with John Curea, another huy who really knows his stuff. MX Tech has a great rep. too.

I am interested to hear who gtop's guy is. You can never have enough good sources! :thumbup:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Heard during the PB300.

"Well the steering dampers help alot through the deep rutted sand. Do your bikes have dampers?"

Bucho: "I thought I was the steering damper!"
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

:harhar:

I consider myself the crash protection for the bike. :mrgreen:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
gtop

Post by gtop »

I haven't heard much about Matto except that they give good deals on new bikes. My local guy does suspension work but he's motocross oriented. I've heard great things about his revalves and setups when it comes to motocross. I cant comment on how his setup would work on a woods bikes. He's one hell of a mechanic with a fair labor rate that does high quality work thats done when he says it will be done. For motor work or rejets he's the best.

The WP suspension on KTM's is a completely differnt animal compared to the Japanese bikes. Do yourself a favor, ship them to Trail Tricks. Javier at Trail Tricks sets the benchmark when it comes to a KTM woods setup.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

gtop wrote:I haven't heard much about Matto except that they give good deals on new bikes. My local guy does suspension work but he's motocross oriented. I've heard great things about his revalves and setups when it comes to motocross. I cant comment on how his setup would work on a woods bikes. He's one hell of a mechanic with a fair labor rate that does high quality work thats done when he says it will be done. For motor work or rejets he's the best.

The WP suspension on KTM's is a completely differnt animal compared to the Japanese bikes. Do yourself a favor, ship them to Trail Tricks. Javier at Trail Tricks sets the benchmark when it comes to a KTM woods setup.
Greg,

Who is the local guy?
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
gtop

Post by gtop »

Randy Mann at Fastmann Racing in Mercersburg, Pa.. Mike ( the guy on the WR at Mountain Ridge) turned me on to him.

http://fastmannracing.com/