I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

DAMN Beemers

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

DAMN Beemers

Post by Laoch »

I finally got around to changing the oil in the BMW. The last time the oil was changed Boom Boom owned the bike :shrug: I figured the Bavarian beast would be fine for a year or so.

I got the bike up on the center stand and drained the engine oil. I had a jug of Rotella ready to go in; all I needed to do was pull the oil filter.

Aha, there it is! Recessed in bottom of the engine. Good idea to avoid knocking it off, not so good when you want to remove it. :dry:

Seems I need a special filter wrench. I have probably a half dozen filter wrenches and of course none fit. Nice.
I guess I'll check out the auto parts store for either a KN filter, comes with nut on bottom, or a wrench that fits this DAMN thing.

At least the new BMW filter was free...thanks Mike.
Bruce
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: DAMN Beemers

Post by Boom Boom »

So when the BMW shop charged me a bazillion dollars to service the bike they actually done something to earn the $$$ they charged me.
I know just where that filter is at and was just fine with letting someone else change it while doing inspection...
With this crap fuel we have to burn I would think a new fuel filter might be a wise thing to change out also.
Of all the bikes I sold...I do miss that one a bit.
And everytime my wife notices one on the highway I am reminded how much of a jackass I am for selling "her" favorite bike.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Boom Boom wrote:And everytime my wife notices one on the highway I am reminded how much of a jackass I am for selling "her" favorite bike.
ahem, that is easy to fix! Buy her another! :amazon:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Kyler wrote:
Boom Boom wrote:And everytime my wife notices one on the highway I am reminded how much of a jackass I am for selling "her" favorite bike.
ahem, that is easy to fix! Buy her another! :amazon:
Street bike was cutting into my dirt bike riding time....easy fix....sold it.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Boom Boom wrote:Street bike was cutting into my dirt bike riding time....easy fix....sold it.
odd how at our age :whoop: is more important than :hug: and :smoking:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Yeah, I like it :ride:

Got the wrench this a.m. I hope it fits.

Fuel filter, hmmmm. I'll look that up .....supposed to be done at 24k miles. Step 1-remove fuel tank (remove fairing first). Step 2 -remove fuel pump.... and I'm done. Too much work.
Bruce
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

FYI, I am almost certain that Hermys done the fuel and air filter when I had the valves adjusted. The tires were replaced then also so you can get an idea all the more miles was put on since all that was done. You should be good.
Did not know it was burried down deep.
I would keep adding startron to the fuel to help combat that white sludge our corn/gas likes to goo things up with.....ride it harder, that always works.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

I plan to get a real service done sometime this year. With that thing it's easier to pay.
I do use either Stabil and/or Seafoam and I run high octane. Runs fine.

Another thing.... :brows:

I was going to hard wire my GPS in-I'd been running it off an adapter from the battery charging pigtail-once I figured out the fuses and where to get power I was ready to go. All I had to do was route the wires inside the fairing.... :lol2: Ain't happening. That is a two person job. It's DAMN tight behind the fairing and I'm not in the mood to take it off. PITA :deal:

At least I got the oil and filter changed :thumbup: And the other fluids got checked. Fuggit. :ride:
Bruce
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

dirtygrunt wrote:I plan to get a real service done sometime this year. With that thing it's easier to pay.
I do use either Stabil and/or Seafoam and I run high octane. Runs fine.

Another thing.... :brows:

I was going to hard wire my GPS in-I'd been running it off an adapter from the battery charging pigtail-once I figured out the fuses and where to get power I was ready to go. All I had to do was route the wires inside the fairing.... :lol2: Ain't happening. That is a two person job. It's DAMN tight behind the fairing and I'm not in the mood to take it off. PITA :deal:

At least I got the oil and filter changed :thumbup: And the other fluids got checked. Fuggit. :ride:
Unless you have a BMW shop down your way that you trust or someone here can give a solid thumbs up too, I would make the drive to Hermys.
I got screwed around and lip service from the local dealer (and tried to empty my pockets). I had many people tell me to go to Hermys so I gave them a call. Arranged a drop off date and they gave me a loaner bike to ride home. Discussed what I wanted done, they made suggestions - the work was done. Hermy took 20 minutes to go over the bill with me to explain every part and charge, even did a look up on the tires because he thought the price was a little high...yep tire prices shot up a week prior to my work being done. I was just happy he took the time and did a second look. He personally took the bike for a good 15 minute test ride to make sure he was satisfied with the performance.
OMG, when I got on the bike for the ride home it was a complete different bike..no flat spot in the fueling...everything I mentioned was addressed.
If I was to purchase an other BMW I would go straight to Hermys.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr