I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Stripped Idle/Mixture Screw

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Longboardr
DAMN Expert

Re: Stripped Idle/Mixture Screw

Post by Longboardr »

BillyGoat wrote:For releasing the screw, didn't I see in this forum that mineral spirits + brake fluid (or something like that) beat Liquid Wrench? Also I like to put the screwdriver in the slot then hit it sharply with a hammer to loosen it before trying to turn the screw. What's even better is if you have a manual impact wrench driver with a standard bit on the end. It's like an air impact wrench but it's manual and uses a hammer hit to both do the impact and to turn the bit.
Acetone and ATF
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Post by anotherguy »

Use a good penetrating oil ( I like Kroil) of your choice. Leave overnight. Dip tip of screwdriver in valve lapping compound then try to unscrew. Carb bodies are very easy to destroy so go easy. It's not likely corrosion seizing the screw probably the wonderful gunk left behind when gas evaporates.
Damage Inc.
DAMN Expert

Post by Damage Inc. »

Alot of the time it is corrosion due to moisture and dissimilar metals.
'00 KTM 300EXC Brakes just slow you down
'06 VTX1300r
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

You know, before I knew better, Sears used to sell a liquid to increase the turning power of screwdrivers. I'll bet it was way overpriced lapping fluid.
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

I have a purpose modified extractor for that, I'll pick it up from you on Sunday, return it Monday.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Wingfixer wrote:I have a purpose modified extractor for that, I'll pick it up from you on Sunday, return it Monday.
You da MAN! :loveit:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Hoffa509
DAMN n00b

Post by Hoffa509 »

I recently used a reverse cut drill bit and extractor to get one out of my BW80 carb.
Husky TE 250
KLR 650
Honda Reflex (not the scooter)
Yamaha RD350 (project)