I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Penetrating Oils

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Penetrating Oils

Post by Rut Row »

got this off a mailing list I subscribe to. Will definitely try it!
Machinists Workshop Mag™ recently published some information on various penetrating oils that I found very interesting. Some of you might appreciate this.

The magazine tested penetrates for break-out torque on rusted nuts.

They are below, as forwarded by a professional machinist.

They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a scientifically rusted environment.

Penetrating oil .......... Average load

None ........................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ..................... ... 238 pounds
PB Blaster .................... 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ............... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds
ATF*- Acetone mix...........53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a home brew mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.

Note that home brew was better than any commercial product in this one particular test.

Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results.

Note also that Liquid Wrench is almost as good as Kroil for about 20% of the price.

Steve from Godwin-Singer says that ATF-Acetone mix is the best and you can also use ATF- lacquer thinner 50 - 50 mix.

*ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
jgreene
DAMN Expert

Re: Penetrating Oils

Post by jgreene »

Sounds like the ATF/Acetone is worth a try. Did the article mention what type of container that they store it in, and is a spray bottle used for the application?
Member R&T Club, and GMER
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

jgreene wrote:Did the article mention what type of container that they store it in, and is a spray bottle used for the application?
No it didn't. I'm thinking a glass jar is what I'll use. Also need to find a good eye dropper.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Taylor
DAMN Expert

Post by Taylor »

How about using a oil can with a finger pump and adjustable spout. Can't remember the last time I saw one I guess they still make them.
2012 Husky WR 125
2009 Husky TE 310
2001 Harley FLHR
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I just bought a 6 pack of chemical spray bottles (quart size) from Sam's Club for $6 a couple weeks ago. I'm thinking I'll use one for a ATF/acetone mix.

Now if anyone is into using SeaFoam, here's the homebrew recipe for making it. My dad has been making it and running it in all of his equipment including chainsaws for about a year now. It seems to work just as well as the original product with no ill effects.

http://hildstrom.com/projects/seafoam/index.html
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Longboardr
DAMN Expert

Post by Longboardr »

I wonder if mixing the acetone with the ATF keeps the acetone from doing such a great job as an accidental paint stripper.
SherpaT
DAMN n00b

Post by SherpaT »

Very interesting. I've generally had good luck with PB Blaster, and I'm surprised to see it's not much better than WD40. I'm also surprised how well Liquid Wrench did.

Thanks for posting it! :cheers:
Adventure, dual sport, and trials (not necessarily in that order)
waserman
DAMN Expert

Post by waserman »

Well it's off to the garage to find the half empty bottle of ATF and the half full can of acetone and do the mixing. I'll just mix in the ATF bottle and use an acid brush for the application. I used to use the cheapest automatic ATF I could find in my Kawasaki 2 stroke enduro bikes and never had aproblem with the trans or clutchs,or any of the bearings, and here is another use for the ATF again. :thumbup:
John

DER ECEA AMA
Class: A Super Senior, open

Husqvarna TE 510
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I'm liking it so far, but the ingredients do tend to separate some. Just gotta shake the bottle before use.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
B_Palmer22
DAMN n00b

Post by B_Palmer22 »

Just borrowed this and posted it on a few forums i frequent, with props to damnriders of course