I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Kawasaki KE 100 rebuild/restore

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
billy jack
DAMN Wanabe

Kawasaki KE 100 rebuild/restore

Post by billy jack »

Thought some of you might get a kick out of this. Bought this bike for $300 to use as a little dirtbike and decided to restore it and title it. 1976 Kasasaki KE100 2 stroke enduro. I recentlly lost(wrecked, totaled, whatever....)a BMW 1200GS and missed the enduro abilitly, but I don't have another $17k laying around and this is WAY cooler and easier to work on. Any way, here's some pics after new rear brakes and bearings($10 for all 3 of the bearings in the rear! I love it)plus install of a tail light, headlight, and iginition switch. still a lot of components to get before I can tag it...Then on to the engine rebuild. I've never done this intense a restore before, but It's been a lot of fun so far. Any advise is always welcome and appriciated.(I already know"label it", "take a picture/make a diagram","might as well clean/replace it while it's off", and "read the manual before...")
Attachments
IMG_0472comp.jpg
IMG_0471comp.jpg
IMG_0470 comp.jpg
"that's NOT a chainsaw strapped to the back of your harley is it!"
"It was when I strapped it on there..."
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Kawasaki KE 100 rebuild/restore

Post by Bucho »

Neat old bike. I want to see that thing restored and at an organized event. It would be awesome to have some guy down and struggling w/ his expensive big dollar bike, and you putt right by on your crappy KE!
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

Bucho wrote: It would be awesome to have some guy down and struggling w/ his expensive big dollar bike, and you putt right by on your crappy KE!
HEY Careful there. That "guy down and struggling w/ his expensive big dollar bike" while he putt's by would probably be ME :lol2:
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
billy jack
DAMN Wanabe

Post by billy jack »

Bucho wrote:Neat old bike. I want to see that thing restored and at an organized event. It would be awesome to have some guy down and struggling w/ his expensive big dollar bike, and you putt right by on your crappy KE!
yea, it would. if you know somebody capable of that let me know 'cause I don't thnk I'm a good enough enduro rider or mechaninc to make that happen unless it's a situation where the smaller frame gives advantage....
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

billy jack wrote: yea, it would. if you know somebody capable of that let me know 'cause I don't thnk I'm a good enough enduro rider or mechaninc to make that happen unless it's a situation where the smaller frame gives advantage....
I'm sure I could be your enduro rider if you double dared me. Though I'm not your guy as a mechanic. I only barely managed a top end rebuild on my two-stroke b/c I had help.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
billy jack
DAMN Wanabe

Post by billy jack »

Bucho wrote:
billy jack wrote: yea, it would. if you know somebody capable of that let me know 'cause I don't thnk I'm a good enough enduro rider or mechaninc to make that happen unless it's a situation where the smaller frame gives advantage....
I'm sure I could be your enduro rider if you double dared me. Though I'm not your guy as a mechanic. I only barely managed a top end rebuild on my two-stroke b/c I had help.
I figure If I can do a top end and some machine work on a v-twin a rotary valve 2 stroke shouldn't be too vexing. We shall see. With the right tools, anything is possible(to completely ruin)
Last edited by billy jack on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

billy jack wrote:With the right tools, anything is possible(to completely ruin)
an indispensable tool for any tool box. Covers the gamut from mild persuasion, uncalibrated torquing to destruction.

Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
billy jack
DAMN Wanabe

Post by billy jack »

last weekend I cut the ends off of some exhaust pipes with a sawsall while they were still mounted on the bike...
stretchride
DAMN Expert

Post by stretchride »

Cool bike/project, kinda reminds me of a DT100 I had when I was a kid. I think it topped out at about 35mph haha.

Ok so the story of the lost/wrecked 1200GS sounds interesting? :amazon:
billy jack
DAMN Wanabe

Post by billy jack »

stretchride wrote:Cool bike/project, kinda reminds me of a DT100 I had when I was a kid. I think it topped out at about 35mph haha.

Ok so the story of the lost/wrecked 1200GS sounds interesting? :amazon:
took a ride the morning of my wedding. on the way back someone made a left in front of me and I went over the car. They carted me off to the hospital, but thanks to my gear all I had were 3 stiches in 1 leg(was only wearing dress jeans) and 2 between my toes. Made my wedding on time too. $17k beamer had no front end. totaled.