I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

bar risers

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
phoo
aka "That Guy"

bar risers

Post by phoo »

I need risers for my KTM 300 EXC. I'm too tall.

So, I see these as my options --

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HANDLE-BAR-RISE ... 0730042566

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30mm-Handlebar- ... 0980715610 (30mm is almost 1 1/8")

So, here are my questions --

The Rox seems like there's the very high likelihood that my style of riding (ie number of crashes and bars banged off trees) would frustrate me by the bars being tweaked. But it certainly has the most options in bar positioning. And it's the tallest.

The second option, while adjustable, I'm sure would just sit at the maximum height of 1.5". My two concerns here are that since it can only sit in a straight line with the current bar clamps, the height will put the base even closer to me. This can be alleviated a little by rotating the bar forward in the clamp, but then I lose some of the height. The other concern is, given that I would likely have all inserts in there at the same time, is that it would effectively create two extra weak points.

The third option has the benefit of being cheap, but it's also much shorter than the both options and has the problem of bringing the bar back toward me. But it's most likely the sturdiest option of them all.

Am I overthinking this? What do other people use?

Thanks,

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Longboardr
DAMN Expert

Re: bar risers

Post by Longboardr »

I use Rox Risers on the Reflex to get the bars into an up and forward position closer to what you'd find on a modern trials bike. They worked wonderfully for that (boom boom iz a genius) and they've been rock solid after proper tightening. They've survived some pretty healthy low speed crashes. I'd question how well they'd do when a bar digs into the ground doing 30. They might work just fine but I'd like to hear about someone who's tested them at speed.

For a less adjustable but probably stronger option you might consider spinning around risers that people normally use to get the bars further back

eBay search for handlebar risers up back
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid= ... s&_sacat=0
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

I have a brand new set of the Rox risers for 1.125 bars (no shims) that you can have for $30 if you want them.

I bought them for the Beta and then got higher bars instead.
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Well, sheesh. If you're going to sell that at that price I guess I have to give them a try. :)

Are you going to Shenandoah?

Thanks!

~Patrick
1975 Harley FXE1200
Damage Inc.
DAMN Expert

Post by Damage Inc. »

I have the Rox. The adjustabilty is what sold me on them. They held up to a high speed slow motion spill the bent the bars a bit with no damage and only slight slippage. For the low low price offered you won't be disappointed.
'00 KTM 300EXC Brakes just slow you down
'06 VTX1300r
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

Did you consider the Enduro Engineering risers? They are IMO the best of both worlds...extremely sturdy and adjustable!
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

I had them on my 950. I crash a lot, ask Ken, and they never moved out of alignment
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Cool. Thanks for the testimonials, guys.

Sam, I'll get them off you at Shen if you're going there or at Hammer if you're going there. Do you need longer cables to use them? If so, how do you go about getting longer cables? I don't imagine you can say "two inches longer than stock?"

Thanks,

~Patrick
1975 Harley FXE1200
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

phoo wrote:Cool. Thanks for the testimonials, guys.

Sam, I'll get them off you at Shen if you're going there or at Hammer if you're going there. Do you need longer cables to use them? If so, how do you go about getting longer cables? I don't imagine you can say "two inches longer than stock?"

Thanks,

~Patrick
I didnt on the 950. I did roll my trottle under the bar though.

Did you want a set to use for the Shen? I can deop a set by, They are Orange though :brows:
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!
GearedUp
DAMN Expert

Post by GearedUp »

I've got the expensive risers. The Scotts under bar mount for my stabilizer raised the bars about 3/4 inch. :ride:
Gary

KTM 530EXC
Kawasaki KLR650
KTM Adventure 1190R