I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Snapped Key

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Snapped Key

Post by BigBird »

Phil, I don't know what the cap looks like or how it works BUT IF it is like some of mine I'd think you could drill out the key lock part then get it open/off and firgure out how to fix/jam it into the permanantly unlocked (manual twist to open position) then use bondo or a plug or something to fill in the hole (or get a replacemnt non locking cap)
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

Do you have a good shop vac? Duct tape a small piece of 1/2 pipe tohose and try that?
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

The magnet thing works pretty well. Just get a big(ish) magnet and tap around and on the key stub.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Longboardr
DAMN Expert

Post by Longboardr »

All my keys are brass, those cow-a-sock-e's come with a steel key?
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

Longboardr wrote:All my keys are brass, those cow-a-sock-e's come with a steel key?
They arent 100% brass i bet or they would wear down rather quickly. Have you tried a magnet on your keys?
Longboardr
DAMN Expert

Post by Longboardr »

bonehead wrote:They arent 100% brass i bet or they would wear down rather quickly. Have you tried a magnet on your keys?
Yep, I've tried, magnet sticks to two out of maybe fifty. One is a British Leyland steel key for a '70s Triumph and the other is a round key for a safe. Most modern keys are made out of nickle plated brass.
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

good to know. I never tried it but was jsut throwing out some ideas.
frogman1981
DAMN Expert

Post by frogman1981 »

Soooooooooo how did it work out?
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

A few days ago I undid all the bolts around the gas cap and was able to get the cap off. I refilled from a jerry can can at the time. I had the lock off and was dissasembling the whole thing with no success of removong the key. Im wondering if when I tried to remove the broken bit by super glueing the snapped off part of the key back on, Im wondering if I dripped a little superglue down into the key hole... Cause I felt I had a decent enough grip on it with some tools that I thought I would have been able to get it out.

Tommorow if I can find my old stsh of quick steel. Im reattaching the snapped off top to the broken bit and just leaving it in there.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
frogman1981
DAMN Expert

Post by frogman1981 »

I read that acetone removes super glue. Maybe try that?