I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Leaky countershaft seal

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Leaky countershaft seal

Post by phoo »

The counter shaft seal is leaking on my 300. It doesn't seem too bad, but it does drip a bit while sitting on the side stand.

How dumb would it be to do the enduro tomorrow? I'll be bringing oil with me to top it off if necessary during lunch, but is there the chance it could run out before then? Or am I being silly worrying about this?

Thanks,

Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Leaky countershaft seal

Post by BigBird »

phoo wrote:The counter shaft seal is leaking on my 300. It doesn't seem too bad, but it does drip a bit while sitting on the side stand.

How dumb would it be to do the enduro tomorrow? I'll be bringing oil with me to top it off if necessary during lunch, but is there the chance it could run out before then? Or am I being silly worrying about this?
No worry - standard ktm problem - just start full and IF you want to be EXTRA safe re-check at lunch.

- OR you can get kits with thicker O rings to fix the problems - OR you can put some kind of a thin shim behind the CS sprocket to put more squish on the existing O ring.
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Oh, okay. The previous owner said something about standard ktm problem and tossed an O ring and a shim in a box.

So I should just take the cs sprocket off and replace those two items? I have a new seal coming in next week, too.

Thanks,

Patrick
1975 Harley FXE1200
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

You can do that or do nothing for now. The new O ring and kit (new parts like what is probably in there now) will probably not fix the problem. This shim behind the CS Sprocket IS likely to fix the problem by adding pressure to the O ring thus fixing the leak.
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

Just to be cear - the type of SHIM that would help would be like a very thin washer only a few thousandths thick.
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Yep, I have a washer in a little plastic baggy that is labeled "shim" and looks to be about the right size for squishing an o-ring into place.

I'll probably just leave it for now and do the whole thing when I get the new seal.

Thanks for the advice.

~Patrick
1975 Harley FXE1200
waserman
DAMN Expert

Post by waserman »

phoo wrote:The counter shaft seal is leaking on my 300. It doesn't seem too bad, but it does drip a bit while sitting on the side stand.

Thanks,

Patrick

I know this answer is a little late, but I thought I would through my 2 cents out there too.
What I used to find with my 05,03 ect. was that after riding/racing in muddy sandy conditions that the accumulation of scrud(sand/mud) behind the counter shaft would eventually wear out the seal and spacer (wear little grooves in it) and they would have to be replaced with new parts(seal/spacer and o-ring). It's also a good idea to replace that counter shaft snap ring with a new one at the same time. I found that doing a full season of ECEA events would warrant at least 2 changes a year or just top it up and keep an eye on it until it gets too messy and then fix it. I have read in the past that some brands of aftermarket sprockets are marginally thinner than the standard KTM replacement parts thus the reason for the leak, and the use of a shim.
John

DER ECEA AMA
Class: A Super Senior, open

Husqvarna TE 510