I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Chain problems?

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Chain problems?

Post by Rut Row »

the master link on the KTM is binding slightly. I cleaned it and lubed it but it still binds a bit. Should I replace it now or wait? It hasn't stretched that much.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Chain problems?

Post by mdubya »

Kyler wrote:the master link on the KTM is binding slightly. I cleaned it and lubed it but it still binds a bit. Should I replace it now or wait? It hasn't stretched that much.
Is it a rivet type?
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

mdubya wrote:
Kyler wrote:the master link on the KTM is binding slightly. I cleaned it and lubed it but it still binds a bit. Should I replace it now or wait? It hasn't stretched that much.
Is it a rivet type?
nope - clip type
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Kyler wrote:
mdubya wrote:
Is it a rivet type?
nope - clip type
Did you remove it and put grease on the pins themselves? If not that should work.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Don't over-tighten the link plate. Just make the link plate so it's flush with the clip grooves, and no tighter.
B DIRT
DAMN Poohba

Post by B DIRT »

boy didnt this thread come up just in time.......
I left the driveway this morning cranking first grabbed second and nothing but redline... huh funny dont usually miss gears, clicked up redline again.... looked down "what the f_ck chains gone" looked back and its balled up on the road so I pushed it back up the long steep driveway with help of the wifey, thankfully she didnt leave on her bike yet and I jumped on the 599 and headed to work.
I found the master link in the road and its was tweaked to hell with one of the pins shearded off.... nice huh so a big ass order went in to rocky mountain this morning including a new chain. Dam it! I guess it could have been worse could have busted the case or happened 80 miles from home at Bald Eagle sunday :bash:
2002 XR650R (plated)
1990 TransAlp
2000 XR650R (trophy)
2002 CR125R
2009 Big Red
1977 CT90
2008 CRF230L (wifeys)
2003 XR650R (crackbabys)
1999 CR80R (crackbabys)
1972 XL250 (crackbabys)
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

and thanks for reminding me - I haven't fixed my chain yet
Ken