I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Found antifreeze in the oil.

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Daves08excr
DAMN Poohba

Found antifreeze in the oil.

Post by Daves08excr »

This is on my 08 klr 650.Bike has been running fine with no problems still is. I rode the bike to work yesterday and while on my lunch break i was out cheaking things over. Thats when i looked at the site glass and it was milky looking. Started thinking what happend i did power wash it last week at the car wash but thats not it. Had no choice but to ride home last nite only about five miles from home when i got there i started getting a antifreeze smell not good. Any ideas head gasket,water pump.Where should i start.
2021 Africa twin.
2022 Kayo k6-EFI.

WELCOME TO THE DIRT SIDE.
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Found antifreeze in the oil.

Post by Boom Boom »

I am not up on how your bike operates however the o-ring that seals the water pump shaft is a common fail part on most trials bikes I have owned.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Could be two different problems. Milky oil is not uncommon in winter. It means the oil is not getting hot enough to boil all of the water out of the oil. If it has an oil cooler, tape it up.

The antifreeze smell could be coming from a different spot.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

If there is water/antifreeze leaking into the oil, the level in the site glass will go up.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
waserman
DAMN Expert

Post by waserman »

Boom Boom wrote:I am not up on how your bike operates however the o-ring that seals the water pump shaft is a common fail part on most trials bikes I have owned.
+1 on what Mike said, more than likely the water pump seal is going bad. It could also be a head gasket, I believe you could remove the radiator cap while the engine is running and you would see that there are bubles coming up while the fluid is circulating this and the fact the cooling system pressure would be higher than normal thus causing the overflow or escape of (antifreeze)coolant, would point towards a head gasket or combustion chamber leak. I have had several of the water pump seals go on Kawasakis that I've owned in the past. While on the subject you should flush that coolant and replace with new every so often, my offroad bikes get 1 to 2 flushs a year. I have seen where the cooling system if not properly maintained look as if it has mineral deposits growing in everything from the pump to the radiators.
John

DER ECEA AMA
Class: A Super Senior, open

Husqvarna TE 510
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

mdubya has a very good point. I had milky oil in my SV due to a similar riding scenario like yours -- only 5-10 minutes to work. The oil never gets a chance to evaporate moisture and going between just "warm" and cold twice a day caused condensation to build up and the oil to turn milky. If there's a coolant leak, it'll be more than just milky/foamy. It'll be creamy pale yellow and fill your sight glass.

If the oil level hasn't gone up, it's probably just condensation. But of course make sure before you go on a long ride.

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Itsa friggin' KLR Fer Gawds sake!

The antifreeze is there to keep the oil from freezing solid! :poser:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Change oil.
Note level and color.

Note antifreeze level.

Ride. :roost:

Check levels and color.

And of course go over to KLR.com and get real answers.
Bruce
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Who knew KLR's even had antifreeze? ?!?!?!?

:ride:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Daves08excr
DAMN Poohba

Post by Daves08excr »

Thanks guys i'm thinking its the short trip thing doing it. My job is less then a mile from my house so its a very short trip and i have not been on an over 5 mile ride in a few weeks. I'm changing the oil today and the antifreeze is still full in radiatore so i'll keep an eye on things. :thumbup:

Update. Did the oil change no water in the oil thank good ness. It looks like there must be dirt on the site glass on the inside. Had very little milky oil on the filler cap but i have sean this before just some condinsation build up.
2021 Africa twin.
2022 Kayo k6-EFI.

WELCOME TO THE DIRT SIDE.