I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Carb tuning

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
the dude himself
DAMN Expert

Carb tuning

Post by the dude himself »

I jetted my 950 last summer, but the top end was never just right and my fuse is too short to get the carbs in/out of the 950SE's airbox. Any ideas where to take it, how much it costs to get it dialed in? Will likely require pulling the carbs multiple times as they're mounted IN the airbox.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Carb tuning

Post by Rut Row »

the dude himself wrote:I jetted my 950 last summer, but the top end was never just right and my fuse is too short to get the carbs in/out of the 950SE's airbox. Any ideas where to take it, how much it costs to get it dialed in? Will likely require pulling the carbs multiple times as they're mounted IN the airbox.
See Bonehead. He has a balencer and can tune it in a jiffy
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
the dude himself
DAMN Expert

Like a carb sync? I have a great one of those (high-dollar expensive and works just as good as any mercury sticks :wallbash: )., I think the main jets need tweaked a bit, either a dyno, a more accurate accelerometer (maybe my Motorola Bionic would suffice), or an exhaust gas reader would be required to test, then the hard part - popping the carbs on and off a half dozen times to get the jets and needles correct.
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

Tell me about your jets and filter and prefilter and exhaust.
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!
Bork
DAMN Poohba

Post by Bork »

See Bonehead. He has a balencer and can tune it in a jiffy

Whats a balencer? & how does it work?
1997 XR600r plated, 1994 XR600r plated, 1972 SL350, 1971 SL100, 1983XL600r
the dude himself
DAMN Expert

bonehead wrote:Tell me about your jets and filter and prefilter and exhaust.
Stock Exhaust, Omni Foam Prefilter, I forget what jetting I used but I followed the ADV KTM jetting spreadsheet for them and the needle - I'll check the kit and see what's missing.

Oh, and I bored the slides out ever so slightly... also have that written down in the kit at home.

It runs great from idle to 80% throttle, but I feel like it tapers off from there. Of course, the 950 past 80% throttle is a scary beast... but I want to make sure it's done right before I potentially list the bike. I'm not sure yet.
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

the dude himself wrote:
bonehead wrote:Tell me about your jets and filter and prefilter and exhaust.
Stock Exhaust, Omni Foam Prefilter, I forget what jetting I used but I followed the ADV KTM jetting spreadsheet for them and the needle - I'll check the kit and see what's missing.

Oh, and I bored the slides out ever so slightly... also have that written down in the kit at home.

It runs great from idle to 80% throttle, but I feel like it tapers off from there. Of course, the 950 past 80% throttle is a scary beast... but I want to make sure it's done right before I potentially list the bike. I'm not sure yet.
It sounds to me like it is running lean at higher RPMS. I will forward you a copy of the jets I used for comparison. I have an 06 50 adv which is basically the same set-up.
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

Did you ever get this worked out? what was found?
the dude himself
DAMN Expert

I rang the hell out of the bike last week. It's actually pretty close. I found a dyno in Elk Ridge, going to drop the second exhaust then re-jet and dyno it this summer.

I also downloaded a dyno software that shows acceleration on my cell phones for testing... And some cool software that lets me ghost race myself. Once I could track my progress I was able to dramatically improve lap times riding my buddy's track.
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

I would just call James at JD Jetting. com. He'll tell you exactly what to do and what kit you need. Shouldn't be very difficult to clean up the jetting.
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T