I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Brake light stuck on

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Brake light stuck on

Post by Rut Row »

The KTM has developed a problem. The brake light is stuck in the on position. I'm hoping it is something as simple as a stuck switch. I guess it is time to rip off the tank, grab my ohm-meter and start testing. I have to keep her street legal until after the PB500 in Oct.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Brake light stuck on

Post by Rut Row »

:frustrated: Seems the front brake switch is bad/stuck/dead and the harness/switch is $62! :frustrated:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
gtop

Post by gtop »

Ouch! Gotta love KTM part prices!
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Go down to Radio Shaque and get some electrical contact cleaner and hose out the switch. Switches don't like dirt.

There are two other routes to take - first, and one I'd do on my own bike since I'm a cheap dumbass, just twist the wires together and eliminate the switch, and try to remember to use the rear brake to turn on the brake light. Second, for about $25, you can buy a "hydraulic banjo bolt brake light switch" which replaces the stock brake banjo bolt but contains a pressure-activated switch and is a sealed unit. Sweet.

http://www.fourstrokesonly.com/BrakeSwitches.html
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

To Al - :cheers: - I have it working. Seems that someone glued the switch back on and the brake handle didn't quite fully depress the switch any more. I put a small piece of adhesive backed cork on the handle to depress the switch more and :thumbup: it works! Not sure how long but hopefully long enough. I'll put more cork in the kit just in case. :lol2:
Ken
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Nice fix Ken. Glad your skills are better then mine for roadside repairs...
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Bucho wrote:Nice fix Ken. Glad your skills are better then mine for roadside repairs...
What bike are you taking to the PB500? I'll bring brand specific duct tape :poser:
Ken