I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

pitted fork tube

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
waserman
DAMN Expert

Re: pitted fork tube

Post by waserman »

Have you checked to make sure the axle is straight ? The redneck gauge for that is a piece of glass or any known flat surface. :poser: The last picture looks as if the forks are coming closer togather the further away from the triple clamps you look(towards the wheel).I had a KX60, one of the kids bikes, started having problems with the front end. After careful inspection and and several questions, I found the triple clamps were bent. The cause, a high speed encounter with a ground hog hole which started a chain of events that ended with some ping ponging between trees.They should be somewhat perfectly parallel with eack other. Measure the tubes between the very top tree and just above where they go into the outer slider(with the wheel off).I have a similar setup for checking the trueness of the wheels on my bikes, although I usually just put the tywrap around the fork tube and cut it off when I'm done
John

DER ECEA AMA
Class: A Super Senior, open

Husqvarna TE 510
badguy
DAMN Expert

Re: pitted fork tube

Post by badguy »

I put the fender back on with the brace and realized that was why I didn't notice the screwed up wheel earlier - the fender isn't aligned right either.

I haven't checked the axle, but that's a good idea. I think the triples are ok and it just looks weird in the picture, but I'll check that too. Judging by the damage to the fork tubes, this thing's been through some rough times.