I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Front wheel rim lock; what is the point?

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Front wheel rim lock; what is the point?

Post by mdubya »

Should I do away with the front wheel rim lock on my 520 EXC? Why, or why not?

TIA :whoop:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Carthorse
DAMN n00b

Re: Front wheel rim lock; what is the point?

Post by Carthorse »

I've seen you ride - :roost: - leave it on, and some self tappers through the rim into the tyre bead!

Honestly don't know - :shrug: - probably something to do with low tyre pressures holding the bead to the rim, and the sudden acceleration / deceleration on rough terrain. They are a PIA when changing tyres 'though, aren't they?

All the best

Ray
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Actually, they're not so bad when changing the tire -- you have to make sure the lock is good and loose, then put the tire irons opposite the lock. To install a tire, arrange the bead under the lock before you put the tire irons under the bead. Again, put the tire irons opposite the lock.

Bead locks allow the use of very low pressures which can benefit traction.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

I always install the bead over the valve stem, which is all but impossible to install once you have the first bead on the rim. I didn't have any trouble with the rim locks. They are a bit fiddly, but with patience (what is that? :poser: ), they are easy enough to deal with. I am still not sure why the front needs a rim lock, although it might keep the tire beaded if you get a flat, allowing you to limp on. :shrug:

The new tires have been mounted for most of a week. I am dying to give them a try. :deal:

:roost: :whoop:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

the front rim lock is to keep the tire from moving on the rim. It will bend the valve stem til it rips the tube, i have spun them even with a rim lock install. braking is what gets the front wheel, throttle gets the rear with same effect.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Hare wrote:the front rim lock is to keep the tire from moving on the rim. It will bend the valve stem til it rips the tube, i have spun them even with a rim lock install. braking is what gets the front wheel, throttle gets the rear with same effect.
There you go Mike! You can eliminate the front rim lock - we all know you don't use brakes - just throttle! :lol2:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Kyler wrote:
Hare wrote:the front rim lock is to keep the tire from moving on the rim. It will bend the valve stem til it rips the tube, i have spun them even with a rim lock install. braking is what gets the front wheel, throttle gets the rear with same effect.
There you go Mike! You can eliminate the front rim lock - we all know you don't use brakes - just throttle! :lol2:
:lol2: My brakes don't work, even if I wanted to use them. :screwy: :ride:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

OK, now your riding makes sense.....

:lol8: :target:
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Roadracer_Al wrote:OK, now your riding makes sense.....

:lol8: :target:
Look Ma, no brakes!!! :roost:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
crofrog
DAMN Expert

Post by crofrog »

They also let you ride on a flat.