I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Clarke 3.9 Tank on DRZ Partially Obstructing Choke

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
ReardenSteel
DAMN Wanabe

Clarke 3.9 Tank on DRZ Partially Obstructing Choke

Post by ReardenSteel »

I recently swapped the OEM tank on my 2009 DRZ to the 3.9 gallon Clarke tank. Everything fit perfectly -- no issues other than needing to get a slightly longer length of fuel line.

But after the installation, I have noticed that the choke is partially blocked by the side of the tank, preventing me from pulling it more than about halfway out. I haven't had any issue starting the bike since, but I can imagine on some cold morning in the future, it could present an issue.

Has anyone else who has gone with the Clarke 3.9 gallon tank seen this issue on their DRZ as well?

Given that the choke lever itself is something of a disk attached to a shaft, I was thinking that grinding down the upper side of the disk could allow the choke to be pulled out farther.

Sorry I don't have a photo -- I'll try to post one up later this afternoon.
Rearden Steel
'20 WR250R
'19 FJR1300ES
'10 Yamaha Grizzly 700 4x4
Eastern TransAmerica Trail 2011
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Re: Clarke 3.9 Tank on DRZ Partially Obstructing Choke

Post by Ovo »

Rearden - Mine does the same thing - but I believe I can pull mine at to full choke...we will have to check it out up at Mt Rid this weekend.
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Mine does that too. For cold starts I just have to hold the choke out for a few seconds while it warms up. I have heard, and seen, some guys trim the top half of the choke knob off for clearance.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
ReardenSteel
DAMN Wanabe

Post by ReardenSteel »

Ovo, Wingfixer, I definitely think that trimming the disk down will improve the situation some... Thanks - I was starting to think I had gotten a variant on the tank that didn't line up properly with the '09 chassis.

If there's anyone out there who actually has shaved down the disk and this has worked (or if :hitsthefan: ), I would love to hear about it.

The promised photos...Here's the choke pushed in:

And here's the farthest I can get it out (that's a weird sentence... :harhar: )
Rearden Steel
'20 WR250R
'19 FJR1300ES
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

somebody here has a plastic welding unit

I vote you carve the tank out and reweld!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
frogman1981
DAMN Expert

Post by frogman1981 »

Couldn't you just rotate the carb a little?
biffer99
DAMN Expert

Post by biffer99 »

Mine's the same...never had a problem. I have read a lot of dudes taking the plastic part off, drilling a small hole through the metal pin, and running a ring (like a keychain ring) through the drilled hole in order to get a grip on it. Again though, haven't had problems with mine and it's exactly the same.
Chris
'09 DRZ400SM (dirt setup as well)
'08 WR450F - plated

http://www.bellwetherphoto.com
ReardenSteel
DAMN Wanabe

Post by ReardenSteel »

Kyler wrote:somebody here has a plastic welding unit

I vote you carve the tank out and reweld!
:brows:

Man, that sounds like a golden hammer -- everything looks like a nail! Given the good news from Ovo and biffer that they see the same thing and there's no foul effect, I think I'm going to let it ride... But thanks for the offer.

If nothing else, I want to SEE that plastic welding unit work! :lurker:
Rearden Steel
'20 WR250R
'19 FJR1300ES
ReardenSteel
DAMN Wanabe

Post by ReardenSteel »

biffer99 wrote:Mine's the same...never had a problem. I have read a lot of dudes taking the plastic part off, drilling a small hole through the metal pin, and running a ring (like a keychain ring) through the drilled hole in order to get a grip on it. Again though, haven't had problems with mine and it's exactly the same.
Thanks, biffer... that puts my mind at ease a little. I'll probably ride it out as-is until some cold morning when I can't get it started and I'll "assign" blame to my half-pulled choke... :amazon:
Rearden Steel
'20 WR250R
'19 FJR1300ES
jgreene
DAMN Expert

Post by jgreene »

Heat the problem area of the tank with a heat gun, then use your thumb to make a little more clearance. Not much will be needed, and be careful not to overheat the plastic. Heat just enough to make it a little pliable, hold the pressure, and as the plastic cools it will maintain the shape.
Member R&T Club, and GMER