I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

sprocket size help

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

sprocket size help

Post by Laoch »

Ok, I want a mild change to a lower, more grunt, off road use, gearing.
So...stock is 13-->49 with a 112 link chain.

I'd like to keep same size chain, so I can switch back if needed. Front sprocket only would be best, right?

It's for a DR250. Bike is tagged, so I still need to run it on the road. But I'm not talking slab or looking to get 65 mph.

What sprocket size should I be getting?
Bruce
jgreene
DAMN Expert

Re: sprocket size help

Post by jgreene »

If stock is 13, I think your only option is a 12 for the front. Should give you the lower gearing that you are looking for on the trails, and is easily interchangeable with the 13 as far as chain length is concerned.
Member R&T Club, and GMER
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

If you mess with the chain length enough, you can probably also add a tooth or two to the rear. I keep the same front sprocket and I change between a 47 and 50 tooth rear sprocket depending on rim with the same chain. All the way to the front for the big sprocket, all the way to the back for the smaller sprocket. Of course, I don't know how long your swingarm is or how much adjustment you get, but it's something to think about. Up three teeth in the back and down one in the front is a pretty big difference.

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Thanks. I ordered a 12 for the front. I don't want a major change, just a little help. The front is easy to swap, it's a snap ring deal.
Bruce
Joker
DAMN Expert

Post by Joker »

1 tooth in the front is about 3 teeth in the rear (if i remember correctly.) Just some food for thought