I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Oil consumption post rebuild question

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Oil consumption post rebuild question

Post by Rut Row »

Okay, my steed is depositing black residue on the caribou cases. I believe this is new but honestly hadn't ridden that much with the cases on. It is a black oily residue. I just changed the oil and filter which is rebuild + 1500 miles and it was 1 1/2 quarts low at that point.

This has got me nervous as I'm supposed to ride to Jacksonville, NC this coming weekend.

What could be the problem? Any chance it will quit on its own? :dry:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Oil consumption post rebuild question

Post by mdubya »

DAMNKLRRider wrote:Okay, my steed is depositing black residue on the caribou cases. I believe this is new but honestly hadn't ridden that much with the cases on. It is a black oily residue. I just changed the oil and filter which is rebuild + 1500 miles and it was 1 1/2 quarts low at that point.

This has got me nervous as I'm supposed to ride to Jacksonville, NC this coming weekend.

What could be the problem? Any chance it will quit on its own? :dry:
Is the oil coming out of the exhaust? If so, I would guess the new rings were broken in too gently, never developing a tight seal. I believe in a hard break in-not abusive, but strong runs through the gears combined with engine braking on decel to seal the rings properly. If you are feeling adventurous, you could pull the head to inspect the pistons. While in there you could pull the jugs and install new rings for a new break in.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

If you were going to re-break in the motor, you'd need to do a light hone on the cylinder as well.

You first need to determine precisely where the oil is coming from, and then we can help better. There are several places where the oil can come from, but each points to a different problem.

BTW, you're sure it's not chain lube? New chains fling the factory grease for a while.

You're OK riding it, as long as you check the oil every or every-other tank of gas..... religiously.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Okay - I'm riding it south as is. But have to figger this out before Canada.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Roadracer_Al wrote:If you were going to re-break in the motor, you'd need to do a light hone on the cylinder as well.
Do you hone a nickasil lined cylinder? BTW-I have no idea what the cylinder construction is on a KLR. :?:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

mdubya wrote:Is the oil coming out of the exhaust?
Yes and I'm thinking I'm SOL :boohoo: will report back after trip. :thumbup:
Ken
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

:peep:

That thing is so heavy, I expect the whole motor is cast iron, not just the sleeve.

:lol2: :harhar: :poser:

I found a post on KLR.net that said it has an iron liner.

OK, So, there are only 2 ways that the oil will get into your exhaust. Valve guide seals, or piston rings. It's time for a leakdown test, with the associated "listen to the motor with a length of fuel line tubing" trick.

When you charge the cylinder with compressed air, you can stick the hose into various areas and listen for leakage. Hopefully, you have a wet sump bottom end - just poke the tube into the oil filler hole and have a listen. If it's dry sump, you'll need to drain the oil and poke the hose up into the drain hole. That will test the rings. Next, pull the valve cover and listen to the top, which will tell you if you have valve guide seal issues.

Take at least 2 extra spark plugs with you on your trip South. If you're burning that much oil, you'll foul plugs pretty quick.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Data Points

Post by Rut Row »

My neighbor looked at the soot and didn't think is was "wet" or "oily". Got me to thinking...

1. KLRs are notorious for coming from the factory with the carb too rich. There's a mod for this.
2. The PO never did anything to the carb
3. The bike runs fine. Starts fine. Etc.
4. The maker of the 685 kit recommends that a PCV be installed. Says the back pressure in the case from the extra cc's causes low speed oil consumption
5. I just learned about #4
6. I've installed a PCV.

So, the oil use could be due to not having the PCV installed. The black residue could be excess carbon from the carb running rich. I'll ride it to NC this way and see if the oil consumption goes down. Then pull the plug and check for a too rich mixture. Lastly, do the carb mod to lean it out.

Keep your fingers crossed! More to come.
Ken
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Good news, that.

Frankly, I'd install a jet kit -- I think your big bore motor will demonstrate more benefit even than a stock motor.

I'd suggest you ask the BB motor mfg about their recommendations for jet kits.

I'd still travel with an extra plug or two.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Roadracer_Al wrote:I'd still travel with an extra plug or two.
I have one packed. When I find out about rejetting the carb, I'll bring beer and pizza to Racer Al's Machine Shop and Art Gallery. :harhar:
Ken