I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Sprocket Life

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Sprocket Life

Post by Rut Row »

I thoroughly respect Al's wisdom a skills as a mechanic, rider and machinist, but I'm concerned he insisted that I replace my rear sprocket to soon.

What do you think? :shrug:
closeup.jpg
closeup.jpg (54.84 KiB) Viewed 7170 times
I'm thinking it had, oh, maybe another 5-10 miles on it, eh? :harhar:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Teethgrinder

Re: Sprocket Life

Post by Teethgrinder »

15 if you were lucky. That thing has seen many better days. Is that the original sprocket? How many miles did it give you?
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Teethgrinder wrote:15 if you were lucky. That thing has seen many better days. Is that the original sprocket? How many miles did it give you?
yup - 18K
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Frack, I still have the original sprocket on mine. About the same mileage too.
Was planning on a New River Gorge trip at the end of June w/ my brother. Looks like I'll have to take a closer look at mine.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Yeah, I think you'll find it runs quieter on the highway as well. :cheers:

When Zina took it for a ride around the block, I heard some funny crunchy noises, and made a mental note to have a look at the chain.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Stupid question.

I went ahead and ordered new sprockets and chain. I've never installed a new chain/sprockets. My stock chain has no master link, do I need to cut it or will I be able to pull it off when I take the sprocket off?
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

You need to break the chain - or pull the swingarm. Al has oodles of cool tools and can handle it in a fiffy.
Ken
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Bucho wrote:Stupid question.

I went ahead and ordered new sprockets and chain. I've never installed a new chain/sprockets. My stock chain has no master link, do I need to cut it or will I be able to pull it off when I take the sprocket off?
Use a dremmel to grind the ends off the rivets on one of the links and break it. A big screw driver and hammer will help pry the side plate off.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Mike's got the plot well in hand.

Just a word to the wise, the $30 "chain breakers" that look sort of like mutant pliers won't actually push a riveted head through the chain. However, they are useful for removing a ground-off link.

However, the kind that sports a forged body and no floppy hinges *should* do the job without any trouble.

Regarding your new chain, the next question is what about the master link? Do you have a clip-type, or do you have a rivet link?

If you have a rivet master link, you'll need a $140 riveting tool, or some way to "stake" the rivet -- I use a heavy backing bar, and a pneumatic hammer with a blunt cone-shaped tool. This is the nuclear option of chain tools -- it will break, press the side-plates, and rivet all in one tool. They're expensive, and I've been meaning to build or buy one for ages. With an adequate supply of "other" tools, you can do all the functions of this tool, but not as conveniently. To seat the side plate, I use the above-mentioned heavy backing bar, and a small section of tube slipped over the pins, which I beat on with a hammer. It takes 3 hands to do it.

Here's another type:

mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

I have never seem a chain tool I would use to push the pin out with out first grinding the head off the rivet. Chain tools are great for seating the new side plate and peaning the new rivet heads. I think Motion Pro makes one for about $80.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC