I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Tool kits ...what to carry when

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Tool kits ...what to carry when

Post by Laoch »

So, most of us carry some sort of tool kit for trail side repairs, flats etc. What do you carry and how do you carry it?
Also, many of us have multiple bikes and ride multiple disciplines. How does that change your thoughts on what you carry or does it?

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bruce
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: Tool kits ...what to carry when

Post by Laoch »

Ktm gave me a nice little kit...never been used.
Beta gave me a couple things...never been used.

Then I have the Yami kit for SJ. Well used ImageImageImageImage

Bruce
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Looks like I will be riding with you that is carrying all the tools needed. :whip: I do love my Zac Speed chest protector / back pack / water bladder. I can have a modest amount of tools in that and while it is heavy when picked up it will balance on my shoulders well and weight is not not noticed...even stays in place when jumping logs. When I kill it I will pony up for a new one. For longer rides and out west stuff I am a fan of a good enduro tank bag. Spare tube in it, small hand pump, 2oz bottles of pre-mix and other light stuff like trail snack / money / keys. I push mine up and over the gas cap and have a small hole I run the vent hose thru. Takes a second to move to fill the tank but is far enough forward it does not bother me when needing to be up on the tank on those do or die climbs.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

I ride with Jay. :shrug:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

That's not what I carry, it's just a collection that needs condensed.

I think SJ had a spare upper based on the weight he was carrying in his pack.
Bruce
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

Recently, the tool tube full of years of well thought out tools for riding fell off of my Wee and was lost forever. I'm in the process of making a new kit for it and I'll make a new tool tube out of black ABS pipe instead of an instruction manual tube.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

juddspaintballs wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:23 pm Recently, the tool tube full of years of well thought out tools for riding fell off of my Wee and was lost forever. I'm in the process of making a new kit for it and I'll make a new tool tube out of black ABS pipe instead of an instruction manual tube.
That sucks.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

It would have sucked more if I discovered that I lost my tools when I actually needed to use them on the side of the road. As it is, I found out in my garage one day when I wanted to use one of the tire spoons I kept in there.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

I've used a welding rod case for a lot of off-road adv rides:

It's that yellow thing clamped to the front of the bash plate with dryer hose clamps. I'm noodling on a solution for my WRR now and I just ordered this tool kit:

http://www.rrrtoolsolutions.com/index.php

It's just too DAMN clever and packs up so small and light that I think this will be the basic kit for my future off-road rides. I've always carried a patch kit and tire tools but I think I'm going to start carrying a can of fix-a-flat instead. Frankly, I suck at pinching a tube when I'm reassembling it trailside. I just haven't done it enough to rely on my skills there.

I put racks for soft panniers on my WRR and I'm going to fashion something up with a box that fits in the space between the left rack and the bike.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

I was able to find a couple hours to ride yesterday and my DAMN mirror decided to unscrew itself. Well, I carry no tools on the CBX, so I stopped by my camp where I do have tools. Basic tools are now included on the CBX. :thumbup: Image

Bruce