I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

I got the M stamp today on the drivers license!

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
Damifudo

I got the M stamp today on the drivers license!

Post by Damifudo »

Doing the :loveit: happy dance tonight. I am legal now. I went for a great ride yesterday by myself to celibrate through Baltimore county. It was all roads but I had a blast. I think I am ready to do my first Oil change on the DRZ 400S. Anyone want to give some advise as to what oil she would like?

I think the chain is a little loose too. How do you know whats too loose? :shrug:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: I got the M stamp today on the drivers license!

Post by Bucho »

Congradulations!
I think the joke is something like, "you are now able to ride slow in a parking lot...". Be careful out there.

I personally stick w/ dino oil.
Most of my bikes were shaft drive. I'll let someone more knowledgable give advice on chain maintenance.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Congrats! I defer to Mike, Al and Rob on oil recommendations.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Damifudo

Post by Damifudo »

Oh yea I am a parking lot expert now. If someone can point me to the exit I feel the call for some of the open roads. :rickey: I am very careful on the open roads in fact I am a bit of a chicken but as the saying goes.

I rather be a live chicken than a dead duck.

I do recomend the riders safety course though for anyone new to Motorcycles. :thumbup:
Panther

Post by Panther »

Chain checks and adjustments are easy. Check your owners manual or a Clymer manual for the amount of flex it should have and how to measure it.

For oil – my money goes to Shell Rotella T 15W-40. About $2.50 a quart at Wal-Mart. It meets motorcycle JASO-MA specs and has lots of fans in the motorcycle world.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

I would run dino oil up to 1000 miles, then switch to synthetic. I have had good results with Amsoil and Mobil One. There are lot's of Shell Rotella fans out there. I might try that in my KTM. But if you can afford it, it is hard to go wrong with Amsoil. I recommend 15/50 or 20/50 for you DRZ. But this is just my opinion. Don't want to get into a "what oil is best" thread. :ride:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Panther

Post by Panther »

mdubya wrote:I would run dino oil up to 1000 miles, then switch to synthetic. I have had good results with Amsoil and Mobil One. There are lot's of Shell Rotella fans out there. I might try that in my KTM. But if you can afford it, it is hard to go wrong with Amsoil. I recommend 15/50 or 20/50 for you DRZ. But this is just my opinion. Don't want to get into a "what oil is best" thread. :ride:
Do you extend your change interval with synth?
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

I'm of the opinion that frequency of oil changes overcomes virtually any shortcomings in cheap oil.

On my DRZ, if I run the snot outta it, every 1k miles. Easy commuting miles, 2k.
Teethgrinder

Post by Teethgrinder »

Congratulations, sir!
As for the oil, I use Repsol synthetic in my DRZ_SM, but I spend most of my time on the road, and don't get dirty alot, so I don't change as frequently as an offroader. Also, as the DRZ needs only 1800ml, even the most spendy oil isn't a huge stretch. Buy a few quarts of oil, and a few filters at a time and save trips to the store.

Other points: The frame plug and the case plug are 2 different head sizes. Why? Who knows. (13 and 14mm, I think). I believe the filter cover bolts are 10mm. Drain all 3 places (Frame, Case, and the little tube leading down from the filter housing).

Getting your DRZ a little warm before the task makes the oil drain better. Just run it for a minute or two, then let it cool a minute.

Since you'll use less than a qt to do the job, once you know how much oil you will have left in the bottle, you can oil your new filter out of the same bottle before you fill without worrying about shorting yourself.

If you need help, scoot on out to Frederick with a quart and a filter. I'd be happy to show you (I assume anyone would), and mine is due this weekend! I'm a slacker.
:oops:

Other things:
For chain adjustments, never rely (at least I don't, cant speak for all) on the little hash-marks on your swingarm for totally accurate wheel alignment/axle placement. I use a micrometer now, but I've also used a good ruler and a compass (to check for exact distance on each side). Even a little skew in your rear axle can throw off handling to a degree, and make for bad chain wear. Just a thought. (And put your cotter pin back in the axle nut!)

If you are on the street a lot, put an 8mm socket in your toolkit. Mine didn't come with any 8mm anything, odds are yours didn't? And you need it to get some of the body panels off.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

this tool from Motion Pro looks like the ticket for chain alignment

- Tool body clamps squarely to rear sprocket so the alignment rod will indicate sprocket alignment to chain
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris