I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

New Member Intro

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
kos1
DAMN Wanabe

New Member Intro

Post by kos1 »

Hi everyone, just joined and it's cool to see an active riding community. Picked up a new to me dr650 some 5~6 years ago and have been hooked riding and wrenching ever since. The dr has been a great all-arounder although it's a bit of a workout in some off-road conditions. I haven't exactly made it any lighter either fitting it out for all those future trips I've got in my head.

Anyways, I live in Clarksville, MD and don't know many any other DS riders but hope to meet some of you on a few rides... you know once we aren't under quarantine anymore.

-Kevin
'06 DR 650
'81 GL500 (some assembly required)
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: New Member Intro

Post by Bucho »

Howdy Kevin, glad you made it over to the DAMN site.

The DR650 is pretty good all around bike. With good knobbies it can be pretty capable offroad. Though it does beat you to death when you make a mistake...
Have you had other bikes? Smaller dirtbikes or bigger street bikes?

Sometimes our best rides are kinda far. Do you have a way to haul your bike?

I hope to meet up w/ you on some rides soon.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Hi Kevin! I'm in Annapolis so most of my dual sport rides having me headed up into PA where there are some fine places to let your DR650 off the leash. Do you have some favorite places you like to ride? You mentioned something about future trips - whatcha got in mind?

Wes
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
kos1
DAMN Wanabe

Post by kos1 »

So just the dr right now. Unless you count the crf50 for ripping around the neighborhood and testing the REAL weight limit. But that's probably a bit smaller than you were thinking. I'd love to add a small trail-sized dirtbike as well as a bigger road bike to the fleet but I can't really justify more toys at the moment. Well, unless a deal pops up on craigslist I can't pass on.

I should have a way to haul my bike around in the near future but at the moment I don't and would need to ride in/out. OK so I admit, because of that, some of my wrenching was more of out necessity than desire, but at least I'm learning a thing or two. Probably good practice if I ever run into issues on a trip. Speaking of which, I had planned to run the MABDR last fall but work happened and was only able to do the north half (MD -> NY). Still bummed I couldn't do it 100% and need to do it again properly. That was actually my first of what I hope to be many multi day trips with the ultimate goal of completing the TAT. A bit ambitious sure but a guy can dream.
'06 DR 650
'81 GL500 (some assembly required)
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

:thumbup: :whoop:
Bruce
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

kos1 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:21 am

I should have a way to haul my bike around in the near future but at the moment I don't and would need to ride in/out.
This is obviously a weird time right now. Probably not many (or any?) larger organized rides for a bit. But most guys who haul their own bikes can usually just as easy carry a second bike. So don't be shy about asking for lift to some of the rides that are further out.
I have a big van. If you ride to Frederick I'll haul you further out to Western MD, up into PA, or whatnot...

If you can get out in the middle of the week, I plan on doing some localish rides this month.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Welcome!

Patrick

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Kevin, this bunch of ne'er do wells on here are a bad influence and I've already added another bike to my garage since becoming active here.

You have been warned.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

Great crew over here, welcome aboard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

Twist wrote:Kevin, this bunch of ne'er do wells on here are a bad influence and I've already added another bike to my garage since becoming active here.

You have been warned.
I’m saving those trump cards Image
But but Twist said~ it’s smoother and in turn safer to be on the said bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F