I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

New member - new to dirt and trail riding

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
bseville
DAMN n00b

New member - new to dirt and trail riding

Post by bseville »

Hi all. I'm new to dirt bikes and trail riding. I have been riding / racing road race bikes for past 12 yrs but wanted to try something different. I recently purchased a KTM 250 XCF-W (tagged) and I have only been out on a few rides. (Mountain Ridge, FRO, and AOAA) I'm having trouble finding riding buddies and hope to find some good people to show me the ropes. I live in the Waynesboro, PA area and hoping to make some new riding friends. :thumbup:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: New member - new to dirt and trail riding

Post by Rut Row »

:welcome:

you came to the right place. Check out the R&T Charity ride next weekend.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Hi new guy. There are rides the next three weekends. BoyerFarm charity ride this coming weekend, pretty good time. The following weekend Im going out to Mtn Ridge to ride with a friend (you can totally tag along), and I believe the weekend after that a different group is also going out to MtRidge to ride.

If its not clear. Any ride that we post up on this site is open to everyone. Everyone is generally really nice and helpful.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
bseville
DAMN n00b

Post by bseville »

Bucho wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:26 pm Hi new guy. There are rides the next three weekends. BoyerFarm charity ride this coming weekend, pretty good time. The following weekend Im going out to Mtn Ridge to ride with a friend (you can totally tag along), and I believe the weekend after that a different group is also going out to MtRidge to ride.

If its not clear. Any ride that we post up on this site is open to everyone. Everyone is generally really nice and helpful.

Information about the rides are appreciated. I looked at the Boyer Farm ride, I assume this will all be single track? I do not have any single track experience yet, have only been on more of the atv trails. I may be up for the 15th at Mtn Ridge but it depends on types of trails you're planning to ride.
jgreene
DAMN Expert

Post by jgreene »

Boyer farm will have trails set up for all abilities from beginner to expert. Would be a good chance to get some experience.
Member R&T Club, and GMER
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

bseville wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:17 pm
Information about the rides are appreciated. I looked at the Boyer Farm ride, I assume this will all be single track? I do not have any single track experience yet, have only been on more of the atv trails. I may be up for the 15th at Mtn Ridge but it depends on types of trails you're planning to ride.
Boyer Farm isn't too hard. (I know this is a very relative thing to say). I'll let other guys who have been there more recently than me tell you how it is. But its not some super gnarly enduro course.

You are very welcome to tag along with us to Mt Ridge on the 15th. My buddy coming is on the slower/newer side. I would like to do at least some of the single track, but I will pick the easier stuff. My buddy is still not really comfortable doing it.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
bseville
DAMN n00b

Post by bseville »

Bucho wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:05 pm
bseville wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:17 pm
Boyer Farm isn't too hard. (I know this is a very relative thing to say). I'll let other guys who have been there more recently than me tell you how it is. But its not some super gnarly enduro course.

You are very welcome to tag along with us to Mt Ridge on the 15th. My buddy coming is on the slower/newer side. I would like to do at least some of the single track, but I will pick the easier stuff. My buddy is still not really comfortable doing it.
Awesome! I'll confirm for the 15th little closer to the date.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

bseville wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:41 pm

Awesome! I'll confirm for the 15th little closer to the date.
Look in the Rides section. I made a post/thread for it. MtRidge 15th
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Bucho wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:05 pm Boyer Farm isn't too hard. (I know this is a very relative thing to say). I'll let other guys who have been there more recently than me tell you how it is. But its not some super gnarly enduro course.
If you choose your options carefully / stay on the trails marked as easy/easier, you're be fine. Early in my riding career I got a little too enthusiastic (as I tend to do ;) ) and ended up dipping down into an optional hill climb that kicked my arse getting back up and that wrecked my energy for the rest of the loop. But I did make it and had a great time and at the end of it I was a better rider, so there's that. And like I said, it was 100% optional and well marked.

Thanks,

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

I'm over by Hanover, PA and ride all those places. Definitely hook up with us on rides. We ride all stuff and abilities. Let me know when you go to fro next.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bruce